Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I bought a Westinghouse tv on Black Friday 2012 and I just

Customer Question

I bought a Westinghouse tv on Black Friday 2012 and I just opened it and the screen was cracked. Is there a warranty on the tv?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the tv, that is an unfortunate problem to find,

p0llinate :

this becomes a sticky situation too, because of the timing and nature of the problem.

p0llinate :

A cracked screen certainly renders the tv unusable. The problem is that while the tv is still under warranty (1 year, from westinghouse) they will tend to blame the type of problem on you.

p0llinate :

They'll likely say that that the tv was damaged in transit, abused, etc

p0llinate :

If you try to take it up with the retailer, they'll likely point to a sign on the wall about their 30/60/90 day return policy, and say it isn't their problem.

p0llinate :

In this case, you have a few avenues to pursue,

JACUSTOMER-fb1i35mb- :

Yeah I realize that. I had the tv stored because I moved but the tv was transferred from the store to my car and then to the attic and it wasn't touched till last week

p0llinate :

I would start by taking it up with the retailer, go in to the store (maybe just take photos with you of it, rather than the whole tv), and ask to speak with the manager. Explain the situation, and that you didn't open it until just now.

p0llinate :

You might get lucky and get them to agree that it was probably damaged in the box when it left the store, and see if they'll give you an exchange/credit toward a new set.

p0llinate :

These sets are usually very well packaged, so if there is internal damage, it probably didn't happen when being delivered to your home, it probably got that way in a warehouse or knocked around by a fork lift on the way from the factory to store.

JACUSTOMER-fb1i35mb- :

ok what should I try if they tell me they can't do anything?

p0llinate :

If the retailer won't help you out, try contacting Westinhouse support next, you can reach them at 1-800-701-0680.

p0llinate :

Explain the same situation, that it was purchased new and never opened until now, and upon opening you discovered the problem, but the retailer won't take responsibility for it.

p0llinate :

If you don't have any luck there, your last option would be to contact your credit card company, if it was purchased on a card that has some consumer protections. Hopefully, if all else fails, you'd be able to get the credit card company to issue you a refund, or force the store to accept the return.

JACUSTOMER-fb1i35mb- :

thank you so much I will try those options

p0llinate :

If that doesn't work, you'd unfortunately not have any other recourse here, and you're probably just going to be out the cost of the tv. If it comes down to that, the tv isn't even going to be worth fixing. It would cost about 50% more than the price of a new tv to have it repaired, because it takes so much labor time to take it apart, change out the screen, and put it all back together again.

p0llinate :

You are welcome, I really hope one of them will be able to help you out here.

p0llinate :

Good luck to you!

p0llinate :

If it comes down to having to replace the tv, I'll be happy to help with some replacement recommendations if needed too. Let me know how it all works out for you, if you have a chance.

p0llinate :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise please remember to rate me using the “excellent service” smiley face below to close out our chat. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, and have a good day,