Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I have a Sony HLM617W. It started not coming back on until

Customer Question

I have a Sony HLM617W. It started not coming back on until after about an 8 hr break... then back up and running. If you try to turn it on directly after powering down, the set will make 3 single light blinky attemps.. then play its shutoff tune and start blinking all 3 lights. I have replaced the bulb per techs advice. Same behavior. Left off for a few hours and it will come back on. It works fine if left on. Just won't turn back on without a rest. All 3 fans are running when i power up.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

Pull the lamp out, hold down the blue button on your lamp door and keep it held down. Or you can jumper the holes on the white plug connected to the blue switch...that way you can turn it on.

Now...power it up. You'll hear the fans come on first, the color wheel will spin up making a wheeeee sound, then finally you'll hear the ballast fire 3 times before the TV shuts off and blinks its 3 lights. The ballast makes a Bzzzzzzzt sound, pauses for 15 - 20 seconds, then Bzzzzzts again.

These sounds are subtle, so do it in a quiet room.

Tell me if --

1] You do hear the fans

2] You do or don't hear the wheeeeee sound

3] You do or don't hear the Bzzzzzzzt occur 3 times before the TV shuts itself off.

Make sure you do this test when you know the TV will misbehave.

You can leave the door off the TV with the plug on the blue switch jumpered.

Examples of how you can jumper it --

Picture of the blue switch I mentioned --

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I jumpered the switch as outlined. My results are as follows:

1.) Yes, I hear and see the fans all running. There appears to be one above the ballast (or something)... one by the lamp and another deper in the unit by some heat sinks... all 3 running on startup.

2.) No Wheeee sound... also, with bulb out, color wheel is not spinning .... not sure if its supposed to.

3.) No Bzzzzzt sound.

After around 20 or so blinks, the unit seems to reboot to try again. Same behaviour 3 times ... then all three lights blink.

Interesting.... the first 2 times i started the unit for these tests the sound came on but no lamp... first time i've seen it do that.

Now it's not doing sound or light as outlined before as the usual way it wont restart.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

The key is the No Wheee...that means your color wheel isn't working at all.

Take a see the box that the lamp is installed in the engine? There's a window inside that box where the lamp's light shines into. Using a flashlight, you can light up the Color wheel discs inside it, and see if they just sit there dead...or if they shift to the left, shift to the right....that's a locked up color wheel. Broken glass, jammed wheel bearing...that why it locks up. The other issue is the color wheel just plain broke. Or the DMD is bad.

I doubt the Dmd is bad. But if it shifts to the left or right...we may need to vacuum out some glass shards in the color wheel chamber.