Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech.

I have a Sony (XBR4/S Series) TV. Purchased in 2008. Beginning

Customer Question

I have a Sony (XBR4/S Series) TV. Purchased in 2008. Beginning a few months ago, when I turn on the TV, the right side of the picture (about half the frame) flickers; 10 to 12 horizontal bars. The flickering goes away, and the picture is restored, after about 15-20 minutes of operation. The problem reoccurs whenever I turn on the TV again, after it has been off for more than an hour.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX be happy to assist you,
I'm sorry you are having this trouble.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions about your TV so that we can troubleshoot the issue.

- Can you please get the model written on back or side of TV?
This info will help to look into related manuals.

- Do you get normal picture in TV after 20 minutes?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Model: KDL-46XBR4

Yes, I get a normal picture after about 20 minutes. I

Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.
Thanks Tom for the reply.

This type of problem in TV is related to display panel drive boards that calls T-Con and UB1 / UB2 boards.
T-Con board is mounted under shield on top center at back of display panel and UB1 or UB2 board is located next to t-con.

Main video processor board sends video data to UB1 / UB2 board that provides that video data to t-con that sends it into internal circuitry of display panel to make an image.

If you are working on it yourself then please take off back cover of TV and replug LVDS wire going from main board to UB1/ UB2 board and check.

If it doesn't fix the problem then need to swap that board and if problem still remains then t-con board will be swapped to resolve the issue.

I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and need to sort out bad board by swapping it that is causing the problem.
If you are not working on it yourself then local TV repairman will do this job and you can expect $200 to $240 repair cost on this problem.

Please post back if you need more info about where to buy replacement boards if you wish to try yourself.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Shahid.

Shahid, Technician
Experience: I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I just called a local TV repair service who advised that the problem I'm having is because of the panel, and not the panel drive boards.

Who do I believe?

Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.
Hi Tom,

If the problem is display panel then you would not get normal picture on left side of TV while the right half is flicking, that is why I diagnose it panel drive boards issue.

Both boards are not costly and worth to give it try.
Please check following link that has required boards and price info..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=KDL-46XBR4

Hope these info will help, please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

Regards,
Shahid.

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
Different expert here. My name is Dan.

The local TV shop is right. This problem is caused by the panel itself, and not any circuit board(s).

There are 2 ways to go about having this fixed. You can call Sony directly and complain... this is a very common issue and they may very well offer a significant discount on a replacement, or we can go inside the TV to apply some temporary fixes. I'll warn you about those, though... they're a pain in the rear and they won't last for many years, but it might get a little extra life out of the TV.

Let me know.