Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have DV2140 was on stand by for a short period (5 weeks),

Customer Question

I have DV2140 was on stand by for a short period (5 weeks), pressed menu button and got garbled, negative, rolling screen. could not access any settings or program time ,channels, etc. HELP
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the govideo,

p0llinate :

unfortunately, the symptoms you describe tend to point to an internal hardware failure (faulty main board/video board). I would suspect that the player was damaged by a power event (surge/shock through either the power or cable lines from a recent storm or electrical outage).

p0llinate :

There really isn't likely to be much you can do here, though we can try to reset the player.

p0llinate :

Can you please unplug power to the unit at the wall outlet, wait 1 hour, then press and hold the power/on button for 60 seconds while plugging the cord back in, keep holding another 60 seconds after, then release. If the problem continues at this point, it would confirm a hardware failure.

p0llinate :

Unfortunately at that point there is no practical fix, no one services these machines anymore and parts are no longer available; the system would simply have to be replaced. I can assist you with locating a replacement if you'd like, should it come to that.

p0llinate :

Let me know how the reset works, and good luck!

JACUSTOMER-mmdzqrud- :

Thanx Nathan, will try the disconnect, if not successful will need to replace it

p0llinate :

You're welcome, let me know how it works out, when you have a chance.

JACUSTOMER-mmdzqrud- :

thanks Nathan have disconnected power for two days will try your suggestion how can I reach you to convey results? J

p0llinate :

If you end up needing to replace it, let me know a bit more about your needs and I can help with finding a replacement. Often, unless you're needing to dub from dvd to tape, you're probably better off with a separate vcr and dvd/bluray player, than an all in one (they have high failure rates).

p0llinate :

It doesn't need to be for 2 days, an hour is plenty, though you can certainly do longer if you wish.

p0llinate :

Just bookmark/favorite this page (http://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair/7wrnv-dv2140-stand-short-period-5-weeks.html) we are on right now to get back with me whenever it is convenient for you.

p0llinate :

You can also just come to justanswer.com, sign in to your account, then click on MyQuestions at the top of the page to get back with me there.

JACUSTOMER-mmdzqrud- :

Thanks Nathan, Tried your suggestion on 2 tvs same results as before. wil need to replace dv2140 any suggestions? J

JACUSTOMER-mmdzqrud- :

Thanks Nathan reset did not work tried on 2 tvs same results need to replace dv2140 any suggestions?

p0llinate :

Are you wanting another all in one system?

p0llinate :

Here is one that should work for you:

Toshiba SD-V296 (click for link)