Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

We replaced power board in 50 plasma LG TV, we have power,

We replaced power board in 50'' plasma LG TV, we have power, the TV is on, but we can't turn it on or off from the console or with the remote. We also can't change inputs on TV to use components. Can you help with this?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

What prompted you to replace the power supply board- and did the original problem occur after a storm, surge or power outage?

Also, have you tried reprogramming the remote to the TV?

Have you tried disconnecting the controller board (the board with the MENU, Channel, Inputs, etc. on it), and can you use the remote with the controller board disconnected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi THanks for your quick reply. The TV power on the TV went out in the middle of the day, there was no power surge or storm it just stopped working which caused us to need to replace it. My husband tested the fuses, etc, and what we found was we needed a new power supply board.

We have not tried reprogramming the remote. I would need to look for our instruction manual on how to do that as it's been 5 years since we purchased the TV. Regardless though shouldn't the TV turn on/off directly at the console even if the remote is not programmed? There is no light on the on/off switch on the TV, it typically lights up blue when the TV is on. HOW DO WE FIX THIS?

We have not tried disconnecting the controller board we do not know what that is. Can you describe it for me an we can try that.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I'm asking these questions to isolate and narrow down the problem.

The first thing you'd want to do, is unplug the TV from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds, then release and plug the set back in. Press power once and attempt to operate the TV. This is a hard reset and can cure this problem often times.

If it does not, then the second thing you'd want to do is have your husband open the TV back up and make sure no cables are pulled loose, or partially off of the Mainboard (the Mainboard is the board that houses the AV jacks on it).

The Mainboard also controls the On/Off, Input, Channel and Volume controls.

We need to try to reprogram the remote to narrow down the problem.

Right now it's one of the following:

Controller board (this board actually has the power,channel, volume and menu buttons on it), it's easy to locate you jut verify where the controls are on the TV itself, pull the cover off the back and find the little board that houses these controls. IF the remote is programmed, and once you reprogram the remote it DOES work, then your controller board is bad.

If you reprogram the remote, it does not work, then you disconnect the controller board's plug (follow the wire from this board to the mainboard and unplug it from the mainboard OR the controller board), and see if the remote will work now. IF it still DOES not work, then you have a faulty Mainboard (or a plug pulled loose from the Mainboard- again this is the board that houses the audio and video jack on it. It also generates the on/off, input, channel and volume commands).

This is how we narrow down the problem and the reason for re-programming the remote (or finding the original TV remote, making sure it has fresh batteries, then trying that).

If you need further assistance or links to parts once you've done the steps above to isolate the problem, let me know.

If you're satisfied with my service, please do not forget to rate the answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks Aric. We will try this and get back to you.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome and let me know what you find.

Also, please do not forget to rate my service once satisfied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is clearly the controller board. The original TV remote is still programmed but not working. WE tried to reprogram the cable remote to see if that would work to turn TV off but it won't program.

Do you have any sense how much it would cost to replace a controller board for an LG Plasma 50inch TV, 50PG60-UA?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay the test does not conclude that it is the remote based on what I had stated above.

Is the IR sensor attached to that controller board, or does it have a seperate cable connecting it to the TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Aric,

Thanks we were able to find the problem. We followed the wire for the IR sensor back and found out where it was disconnected!! We have connected it now and all is working good as new. Thanks for your patience and help! All the best, XXXXX XXXXX Robert.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Excellent! If you're satisfied with my service could you please rate my answer accordingly?
Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.