Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Ive recently hooked up all of my AV devices to my TV via my

I've recently hooked up all of my AV devices to my TV via my receiver. All all using HDMI cables (BluRay, DVR, Xbox). Everything has been working fine for the last month, however, I turned it on this morning and I cannot get video to show up on my TV. I know it must be a TV issue, because the audio from all my devices work fine thru my surround speakers. The TV is not detecting anything from any of the HDMI inputs. I even opened up a brand new HDMI cable to use, and that didn't work. I then tried plugging my DVR directly into the TV (bypassing the receiver). Nothing. I've experienced problems with HDMI on this TV before (getting video, not audio, and visa-versa)
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the tv. Thank you for all of the information and the thorough troubleshooting, these are all the same diagnostic steps I would have asked you to perform.

p0llinate :

One other step you can try here is to reset the tv: unplug power at the wall outlet, wait an hour. Then press and hold the power button on the tv for 60 seconds, keep holding it while plugging the tv back in, and for another 60 seconds after.

p0llinate :

If that still doesn't work, it would unfortunately indicate an internal hardware failure, meaning the hdmi components had failed.

Customer:

how does that do any good?

Customer:

What does turning the power off for an extended period of time do?

p0llinate :

On this model, the hdmi inputs are not on a separate board, they are integrated into the main/control board. If it is something you're looking to fix yourself, you can buy a refurbished main board for around $125.

p0llinate :

It clears and resets all of the internal memory in the tv. It is not a guaranteed fix, more of a diagnostic step, though many times it will clear the hdcp issues in the tv that can cause this type of problem.

p0llinate :

If it does not, then it confirms a hardware problem, which requires repairs.

p0llinate :

If you think you'd be up to fixing it, as I said the part isn't too bad, and I can try to help you find one.

Customer:

There are no other possibilities?

p0llinate :

If you wouldn't be comfortable doing the repairs, I would advise against investing in repairs, as by the time you cover parts and labor, you'd be exceeding the value of the tv and it would make more sense to buy a new one at that point.

p0llinate :

There are always other possibilities, yes. But based on the information you provided, this is the most likely issue.

p0llinate :

The hdmi failure was a known issue and very common problem on this model.

Customer:

Yesterday, the screen was flashing from static, to picture, and I had adjusted a setting on my TV video setting that eliminated that.

p0llinate :

Have you tested other inputs? (component, composite, coax)?

p0llinate :

If they are all working normally, that would be another step to confirm that the hdmi components have failed, though all of the inputs reside on the same board, only the hdmi is digital so processed differently than the rest.

Customer:

Not since this has happened. I recently got out of all the component cables, and went HDMI thru my receiver

Customer:

where would i go to find a new board to fix this problem?

p0llinate :

Westinhouse parts are notoriously hard to find, especially for older tvs, they don't generally make new parts available, so it would be a used/refurbished part.

p0llinate :

Here is one, it appears out of stock at the moment, but shopjimmy is a pretty high volume site, and they always have new inventory coming in,

p0llinate :

so I would watch on there for one to come up, as well as keeping an eye out for that part number on ebay

p0llinate :

There are also some services that will rebuild your board, but it takes time obviously to send it in, wait for repairs, and have it sent back, so if this is your main tv, I'd search elsewhere for a ready to go board.

Customer:

I'm attempting to do a factory reset. There are a few forums that this sequence has worked for people with my same issue

p0llinate :

Okay, let me know how it works out for you.

p0llinate :

I'll keep looking for somewhere that has a board in stock, so far I haven't had any luck finding one.

p0llinate :

One thing to add, during the reset process, go ahead and disconnect the hdmi cables from the tv too, and don't plug them back in until after the tv has been turned back on.

Customer:

Did that. Looks like everything came back on! What does this mean? Do you think I'll have to continue to do this from time to time?

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry I missed you earlier, I thought you were going to wait an hour+ so I had stepped out for an appointment.

p0llinate :

Glad to hear that it works, that's awesome!

p0llinate :

What does it mean? Well, it can meant that there is some internal problem, that will continue to decline until it stops working entirely, or it may just be a memory glitch. HDMI, and the associated hdcp info that the tv has to process can be glitchy, anything from a little blip in the power line or a static shock touching the tv could have caused this.

p0llinate :

Honestly there isn't a whole lot you can do here other than to keep an eye on it. If it comes up again, repeat the reset process; if it gets to the point that it happens a lot or the reset no longer works, then you'd need to go the repair/replace route.

p0llinate :

One thing I would recommend to help prevent this happening is to be sure you have a good quality surge protector that all of your equipment is connected to, this means making sure any possible route into your system is covered: coax to cable mode and dvr, satellite lines, phone lines/network, etc, as hdmi devices are so sensitive to electrical damage, and that is often what prompts these types of issues.

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.