TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

screen looks kind of blurry, just had the power source replaced

Customer Question

screen looks kind of blurry, just had the power source replaced and the picture looks a little different, is it something i can fix myself?
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

The TV really shouldn't be blurry just because you replaced the power supply on your TV set...Can you tell me if the picture was blurry previous to the power supply failing?

Was it in a storm and that's why you had to replace the power supply? Any chance it damaged your cable or satellite box too? That would be indicative of a main board getting hurt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

more of a grainy piture not blurry. my satellite box is fine

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

What resolution is your satellite delivering to your TV set? 480i or 480P? Or is it 720P or 1080i which delivers the sharp pictures to your TV set?

How about any other boxes connected to your TV?

Also the TRUE source of video has an effect on it too. If you're watching DVDs instead of Blu Ray DVDs you'll see a sharpness difference and a Satellite TV channel that isn't their HD channel will only deliver a picture in 480i (SD) resolution.

I have both settings on my cable box, and even some of the older Pre-2006 shows are SD shows.

If your pictures are grainy, that's usually the reasons why you have a grainy picture.

Satellite box not set to 1080i, Connections -- cable connection is the old Yellow Red White connectors or the TV tuner set to channel 3 (SD) input.

It should be the HDMI or the 5 wire Component cables and the box's Video out set to 1080i.

The TV stations -- You should see HD listed in the TV channel's name box. And the TV show should have a listing of HD in the Information box for that show.

If you find all of that is correct...then you may actually have a problem with the TV set.

If you have the TV's remote available to you, I find out if the Display button shows 480 in the TV's display box. On your ORIGINAL TV remote....there's an INFO button at the 4 o'clock position right by the Ok and arrow rings.

When you press it, it should list the Satellite or DVD signal resolution it recieves.

All grainy pictures come from the source, not the TV itself.

That's why we want to make sure the source is delivering 1080i first, the shows are HD shows and the TV station is also listed as an HD station, before we assume the Video board or logic board is broken.