Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have an Emerson LC401EM3F. The screen was hit by a Wii remote.

I have an Emerson LC401EM3F. The screen was hit by a Wii remote. TV shops want to charge me more to fix it than I paid for it. I have looked, but apparently in the wrong places. Where can a find a replacement panel?

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble,

p0llinate :

to be quite blunt, those repair shops are probably not out of line.

p0llinate :

In general, when a display on a tv is cracked and damaged like this, the entire display portion needs to be replaced.

p0llinate :

The part alone is often nearly the price of a new tv, and when you factor in the labor costs for a tech to do the job, it jumps quickly.

p0llinate :

It is not a quick or simple job, it is breaking the tv down entirely to get to the display, remove, replace, and reassemble it. Those labor costs quickly make the repair cost, if having a tech do the job, far more than a new tv.

p0llinate :

Here is a link to the part, if you want to have a go at it yourself.

p0llinate :

Considering the cost of the part though, for a 40" tv, you can probably find a replacement tv for about the same amount. If it were me, I wouldn't invest the time and money in a repair, I'd go for a new set with a fresh warranty, etc.

p0llinate :

I realize this probably isn't the answer you were hoping to hear, and I do apologize for being the bearer of bad news,

p0llinate :

however you'll find this same fact to hold true for any tv set with this type of damage, no matter the make or model.

Customer: I'm not worried about a tech doing the job. I'm good with my hands... But that part is still as much as a new tv. That's ridiculous! Someone, somewhere has to to have reasonably priced parts.
p0llinate :

There simply is not.

p0llinate :

Manufacturers have no incentive to make and sell extra parts, so they are rare,

p0llinate :

most on the market are out of a used set that had a fried power supply or some other damage

p0llinate :

You can keep an eye out for a used one for sale of this model (a whole tv) on ebay, etc

p0llinate :

and dismantle it to get the panel out,

p0llinate :

but that is really the only way you'll ever find a better deal on it.

Customer: I've looked but all that I found on EBay has the same problem. Thanks for your time
p0llinate :

You're welcome. I'm sorry, again, for the bad news here. I hope I at least saved you some time and effort spinning your wheels looking for a part that really isn't going to exist at a practical price point.