Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a JVC AV-56WP74. Lost the picture and it now makes a

I have a JVC AV-56WP74. Lost the picture and it now makes a kind of thumping noise. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi Bill, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the tv,

p0llinate :

the thumping noise is coming from the speaker, correct?

Customer:

Yes, I was not here when it started but my son said the picture went crazy then the nothing but the thumping sound.

p0llinate :

Okay, from my experience with this problem, it is a faulty convergence board.

p0llinate :

It is something that could be repaired, but it is hard to find many techs that still work on these older crt based sets;

p0llinate :

if you think you're capable of fixing it yourself (comfortable opening up the tv and working on the internal parts),

p0llinate :

you can remove the board, and send it out to be refurbished, then replace the board, there are services online that will do this for $100-150 (factoring in shipping)

p0llinate :

If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, by the time you factor in labor costs, it is probably not a worthy investment for such an old tv, you'd be better off putting your money toward a new set.

Customer:

I know, it was built in 2003 and I have replaced some parts twice. Very nice TV, particularly the sound. Any "ballpark" on what the part would cost?

p0llinate :

You should be able to get it done under $150

Customer:

OK, I may give this a try. Are you fairly certain this is the problem?

p0llinate :

Yes I am quite confident.

p0llinate :

If you'd like a 2nd opinion, try messaging the seller for the board repair I linked you to on ebay,

p0llinate :

let me know all of the symptoms, and see if he agrees. The same shop repairs other boards as well (power supply, etc), so they have no incentive to repair the wrong part for you and end up with a bad rating of their service (same with me).

Customer:

OK, thanks! trust your knowledge

Customer:

I trust...

p0llinate :

Thank you.