Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

I have a LC-40LE431U. It will not turn on. It is one month

I have a LC-40LE431U. It will not turn on. It is one month old. Is there also a button control? I can't find any.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the tv,

p0llinate :

do you see any lights or other indicators of life on the tv?

p0llinate :

At the lower left corner, just below the screen, you should at least see a small red light,

Customer:

the red light is steady. nothing happens when I try to use the remote.

p0llinate :

The remote batteries may simply be dead, or the remote may be faulty. Can you try the physical power button? There should be one on the edge of the television, on the lower end of the right hand side

Customer:

the cable remote wont turn it on either

Customer:

lemme try the physical one

Customer:

that's what I was looking for on the bottom. no. it wont turn the TV on

p0llinate :

Ok, that often indicates an internal hardware failure, but lets try resetting the tv.

p0llinate :

Can you please unplug power to the tv at the wall outlet.

p0llinate :

Wait at least 5 minutes,

Customer:

can you call/ rather than typing?

p0llinate :

then press and hold the power/on button for 60 seconds, keep holding it while plugging the power cord back in, and then for another 60 seconds after, and release. Then press it once more to see if the set will turn on.

p0llinate :

No, I'm sorry this site is limited to the chat format support only.

Customer:

ok. unplugged

p0llinate :

However if this reset doesn't work, I'll give you a phone number to call Sharp service, as you would need to pursue a warranty claim with them for repairs.

Customer:

ok. thanks.

p0llinate :

If you've had it less than 30 days (or even 60 or 90 days, depending on the retailer where it was purchased), you may be better off trying to get the retailer to exchange it for a new one, simply so you don't have to deal with waiting for a service call to be scheduled and having a tech come out to your home to work on it. While I'm sure Sharp will take care of the repair costs, it is still an inconvenience to go through with the repair process.

Customer:

yep

p0llinate :

If you want to let me know your zip code, I can dig up the local service options for you, if it becomes necessary

Customer:

I can still take it back. bought at Best Buy.

Customer:

5 minutes is up. brb in 2+ minutes

p0llinate :

Okay

p0llinate :

Yes if from BB that is your best option then.

Customer:

crap. I unplugged the cable cord!

p0llinate :

Oops!

p0llinate :

No problem, take your time.

Customer:

ok. did it right this time. red light is still on

p0llinate :

Thanks for checking, and sorry to hear that,

p0llinate :

this would tend to confirm an internal hardware failure. We often see this type of behavior from bad capacitors that made it past quality control, or possible damage from a power surge.

p0llinate :

In either case, while it isn't good news, you're lucky it came to light now, rather than months down the road, since you can more easily deal with it through best buy at this point instead of warranty repairs, or even worse after warranty repairs that would come out of your pocket.

p0llinate :

I'm sorry there is no easy answer for a quick or simple fix here

Customer:

I'll pack it up and return to Best Buy. I still have the box and styro junk. Thanks anyway.

p0llinate :

Actually, one last ditch effort, can you try another power outlet, and plug directly into the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. Rare, but it can still happen sometimes that a power strip or outlet causes this type of issue.

p0llinate :

It's not likely, but a good idea to double check the power source before you go packing it all up

Customer:

It's too far from another outlet.

p0llinate :

Ok, well if the cable box/dvd/etc are working, that isn't likely to be the issue, but you can try swapping outlets with one of those devices just to be sure.

Customer:

I'll deal with it later. Dinner is ready.

p0llinate :

Okay.

p0llinate :

Should you have any other questions, feel free to get back in touch. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a good day,

Customer:

You too.

p0llinate :

Thanks

p0llinate :

Please do remember to "rate" me before logging out also, to close out our chat tonight

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.