Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Panasonic 52LCX66/PT and recently replaced the lamp

I have a Panasonic 52LCX66/PT and recently replaced the lamp assembly.
Things worked fine for a couple of days.
Yesterday turning on the TV produced the green "on" light but no TV. It also would not turn off, either by pushing the power button or by remote. I pulled out the power cord and, of course, the light went out. Now pushing the button has no effect on anything.
Can this be the power button or is this somehow related to the lamp replacement. I would really appreciate any input.
Hello, and thank you for the question.

How long have you owned the set for?

Also, where did you purchase the replacement lamp from and for approximately how much?

What were the exact symptoms you had that prompted you to replace the lamp initially?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The TV is around 6 years old and the lamp was purchased for $83 from best buy service. I saw prices for lamps from $38 at Amazon to over $200 at Sears. What is the difference?

Thank you for the reply. The difference is that there are OEM lamps which are what recommended by the manufacturer, and then there are unreliable lesser priced "OEM compatible" lamps. However this may not be the issue here. Can you please explain what the exact failure symptoms were that caused you to replace the lamp in the first place?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I received a message on the screen at every start up that said the lamp needs to be replaced and the timer needs to be reset. I replaced it about a week after the messages began.

There were no symptoms other than this message. Panasonic warranties the bulb for only 18 months, so at 6 years it was reasonable to believe that it needed replacement.

Yes absolutely, 6 years is a long time for a lamp in this set.

Let's see exactly what's happening here. Please unplug the TV, then carefully remove, then reinstall the lamp making sure it's in the housing securely. Then close the lamp cover and make sure it is also closed tight. Plug the TV back ion, and make note of any blinking LED's on the front of the set. Press power once, and let me know if you hear the fans fire up, or any clicking, etc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I unplugged, removed and reinstalled lamp and lamp door. There was no clicking or lights when the plug was replaced. No clicks or lights when the power button was pushed. I know the outlet is good since my cable box is also on the circuit and it went on and off as expected.

I will be away for about 90 minutes and we can continue when I return.

Thanks for your help.

You're welcome, and unfortunately the symptoms you have don't indicate a problem with the Lamp or the Power Switch, but a fault in the power supply board within the TV itself.

This board converts the AC voltages to various different DC voltages that the set requires for operation. Often times, a capacitors, or resistor can go out of spec and cause this problem. It's not directly related to replacing the lamp, but these issues can occur following any changes made to the components in the TV that have been working together harmoniously for the last 6 years. Unfortunately there is not a quick fix for this problem today and the set will require service. Average cost for this type of repair is around $250 parts and labor.

If you'd like, you can use the link below to locate a Tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance let me know.