Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech.

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40S2000 TV that lost its picture.

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40S2000 TV that lost its picture. You turn it on, Power light turns green, and stays on as long as I have the tv on. You see the back light come on, but thats it... You have no image, no menus will show up. As for sound, we had the TV running through another sound system so I am not sure if the speakers are working. Following what I saw on this sight, Conrad had a user perform a reset using the Sony remote... I did that, the TV cycled, but still nothing on the screen.

With this information, what are the chances that the Bu board is the issue, or is more likely the panel died? If the odds are ok, then I'll order the board, and replace it. But I don't want to bother if it appears that the panel is the culprit.

The unit is MFG in April 2006... It has run for 7 years, with a lot of use... My wife was watching it, and then it just went dark.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX'll be happy to assist you,
I'm sorry you are having this problem.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions about your TV so that we can troubleshoot the issue.

BU board has VGA input that will help in diagnosis, can you please connect a PC in VGA input and press input button repeatedly to see if computer picture appears?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK... had to run around and gather the items needed to do this... Hooked up a laptop and tried the tv/video button several times... Nothing. I tried the button with a pause just in case the tv needed to think about the input... That didn't help...

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Allan for the reply.

Do you get any noise/ distortion on TV screen if you disconnect and reconnect LVDS cable either at BU board or panel (t-con board) while looking at screen (second person is needed to observe Tv screen) ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK... Tried it a couple times... No flicker.... Nothing.... Just blank screen... I don't think I have any sound either.... I even tried turning the sound up all the way... Nothing, no hum, no noise, no static...

The only sound is the power relay... You hear it, when you turn the unit on, then again when you turn the unit off...

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the test info.

It seems BU board is defective as video data isn't being sent to panel.
BU board swapping will confirm it as I diagnose it through symptoms, shopjimmy.com has BU board under $50 and it worth to give it try, they have board return policy as well.
Please click above link to view BU board price info or search / google it for better price.
Sound processor on AU board also controlled through BU board so sound is mute justifies here.

Please post back how BU board swapping worked.
Regards,
Shahid.
Shahid, Technician
Experience: I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech.