Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

My vizio smart tv is locked up remote will not work to power

Customer Question

My vizio smart tv is locked up remote will not work to power down nor the tv buttons have to unplug tv to shut it off, when i plug it back in goes right to same channel as it left on and still has locked screen!
what is wrong?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

Can you please get me the model number off of the back of the TV?
How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?
Also, are you not able to control anything at all on the TV- Volume, Input, MENU, etc.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model number is XXXXX problem just occured when i tried entering netflix. netflix never load screen just locked up. i cannot control nothing on the tv nor the remote.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Let's try a basic reboot of the TV first. Please unplug the TV from power then press and hold the power button on the set itself for 15 seconds, then plug it back in and turn it on. Let me know if you have the same problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That did not work. Let me also point out when i unplug tv. The tv doesnt quite shut down screen still stays some what lit with black backgroun and on top right corner the TV HDMI-1 480i SD still apear.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, something's not right here. Are you sure you're not unplugging the cable box? If you unplug the TV from power- there is NO power going into the set at all, and there's no voltage to light the screen. Can you please double check that the TV is totally disconnected from power?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes i unplugged the power

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The TV screen can absolutely not be showing HDMI on the screen if you unplugged power. Sorry, but I'm gonna ask you to pull the plug right out of the back of the TV. The set is plugged in if you see anything on the screen there's no way around that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok i got it unfroze. Before i did unplug right from back of tv. This time i unplugged my power strip right from the wall. It must of been robbing some power off my DVR box before. Thank You i appreciate it.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Excellent and I am glad to hear that. I knew the TV still had power, because there was something keeping the screen lit. That's the only reason I was adamant about making sure the AC was not connected to the set.

If you need further assistance let me know.

If you're satisfied with my service, please do not forget to rate the service accordingly.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again i appreciate you being straight forward and sticking with it. I'm a HVAC technician i know how customers can get lol. Have a good night.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, and you as well. Have a great weekend!