Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

I have a Mitsubishi WD-62725. I keep having an issue with the

I have a Mitsubishi WD-62725. I keep having an issue with the screen turning purple. I will have a nice picture, then horizontal lines, and then a completely purple pinkish screen. If I unplug the TV for a day or so, it will have a clear picture again, which will only last for an hour or so. Thanks, Angela
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the question. How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We've had the set for several years. The problem began about three or four months ago.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply.

Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?
If you press MENU on the TV when the problem is occuring, does the MENU display normally on the full screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The only device connected is a Roku box, which is connected with an HDMI cable. However, the purple screen issue began before we used the Roku box. At that time, we had a cable box connected.

When the problem is occurring, pressing MENU does not show anything. Nothing is visible except the purple screen.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I understand. This isn't a problem that can be fixed via any settings or adjustments- and it's not the lamp. Is this something that you're looking to go inside the set and fix yourself?

Or are you simply looking to see what could be causing this, and what the cost of repairs would be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Knowing what is causing the problem and cost to repair would let me determine whether I would be able to repair it myself or not. I'm not opposed to fixing it myself if I can.

And thank you for your quick responses!

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome, and sorry for the lack of a quick fix. This issue can either be caused by an intermittent fault in the Power Supply Board or the DMD board. The Power Supply Board processes various voltages inside the TV, and one of them being out of spec (due to one or more faulty/intermittent capacitors), can cause the types of problems you're having. The average cost to have this repaired is around $250 parts and labor.

The other possible fault is a faulty DMD board which is essentially the "brains" of the TV, and processes much of the Video signal. To replace this board would cost you typically $250 parts and labor as well.

To know which board is causing the fault, voltage tests must be done inside the TV to see if any are dropping, or if any of the communication signals are not being sent correctly to the DMD.

If you're like, you can use the link below to locate a Tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance let me know.

If you're satisfied with my service, please do not forget to rate the answer accordingly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Aric. I appreciate your help and quick responses.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome and if you need anything further let me know.

If you're satisfied with my service, please do not forget to rate the answer.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.