Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

My 36 inch Sony Bravia is flashing between a black screen and

My 36 inch Sony Bravia is flashing between a black screen and a fuzzy screen with no sound. When I did a diagnostic check, the TV said it could find no digital signal. At first I thought is was the cable, but my other TV works fine. I also checked the connections and they are solid. It was working this morning but now all I get is the flashing between black screen and fuzzy white
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-If you push the MENU (or home) button on the tv itself, does the menu show on the screen?
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game console, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just turned the TV on via the TV instead of the remote. I got an HDMI error message telling me to turn off the TV and turn it back on. I did that via the remote and now the TV works. Go figure. Anyway the TV is 13 years old and I had never had this problem before.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK so the tv is working now? NO problems?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No problems. It is working now. Is it about to die on me?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
I would not think so. It sounded to me from the beginning like there was a hiccup in the EEPROM, its common for a tv like this to do it once in a while. Normally unplugging or turning on and off a few times clears it and it starts working.

Of course its possible it could act up again, if it does let me know and we will troubleshoot....but I would say rest easy at this point, its probably going to be fine.

Let me know if you need anything at all.

Thanks,
Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.