Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

Philips hdtv 60" projection tv wont turn on.

Philips hdtv 60" projection tv won't turn on.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?
-When you plug it in or turn it on, what does it do? (light blink, click noise, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

unit is about 10 years old

model # XXXXX

it doesn't make any sounds or respond at all when trying the remote or the power button or plugging it in...

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Any storms or power problems before it went dead?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not that I am aware of... just tried turning it on one evening and nothing. Same thing happened a couple months ago but I can't remember what fixed it. I believe it was on this site but I have no record of it...

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Can you get me the chassis number off the back of the tv please?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DPTV335
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK Jason, so we see this problem somewhat often in your model. Most of the time this is caused by a failing SSB board (part number 310432825651). Now sometimes in the beginning it will just give you hiccups like you saw last time. Sometimes this can be solved by doing a hard reset on the tv. However sometimes the board has to be replaced.

What you did last time, and hopefully what will work this time is left the tv unplugged overnight and then it turned on the next day.

What you need to do first is unplug the tv for 5 mins, then hold the power button down on the front of the tv and plug it in. Then release the power button and try to turn the tv on.
If this does not work then you need to leave it unplugged overnight and see if that helps. (this is what you said worked last time)

Now, if this does not work this time then you have an internal failure, normally its a bad SSB board if its going out intermittent like you are seeing. However it could be a couple other things. At this point some internal testing is needed to determine what is wrong. If you know how to use a meter and troubleshoot I can help you do the troubleshooting to confirm what is wrong with the tv. The biggest problem is if it is the SSB, then we have a problem because the part is almost impossible to find. This was a high failure part in your model and all the spare ones have been bought up.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!

Thanks,
Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.