Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have an older Samsung TV (1995) which works perfectly on

I have an older Samsung TV (1995) which works perfectly on analogue. However we are finally converting to digital and I connected my Tivo box to it. Whilst the picture shows, it shimmers and shakes on both sides of the screen when using the AV input. I have also tried in with AV input from a VCR with the same shimmering effect at left and right of screen, Is there something wrong with my TV receiivng an AV signal?
Hello, my name isXXXXX'll be happy to assist you,
Please allow me to ask you a few questions about your TV so that we can troubleshoot the issue.

- Do you get shimmering effect at same time on both sides and is there thin line appear across the screen linked with that effect?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it effects both sides but the centre of the picture seems quite stable. cant see any thin line joining appearing on screen

Thanks Gavin for the reply.

This kind of problem occurs due to weak capacitors in power supply and / or deflection section of TV after long run, replacement of all capacitors that top looks bulged in these sections of TV would usually resolve the problem.

If you can do soldering work on circuit board, I can walk you through it or local TV repair shop may charge around $80 to $100 to do this job.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Shahid,

the shimmering now seems to effect the analogue signal as well. If I was more competent I might try the repair but given the cost or repalcement versus a service call locally it makes sense to repalce it with a modern LED

Hi Gavin,

Modern LED would be better choice as I was answering about problem in that old TV.
Please post back if you need any assistance about LED TV.

regards,
Shahid.