Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

After watching a Netflix movie, my screen wont go back to

After watching a Netflix movie, my screen won't go back to full screen in TV mode. It's narrow, black bars on sides. Tried both Standard and Movie in the Settings. Never a problem until now...
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model: E420AR. Less than one year old.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK on the VIZIO remote, in the bottom right there is a button that says WIDE. What happens when you push that several times in a row?

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It works, Tim, but the image is stretched-looking rather than normal. I don't remember it being that way.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Ok, do you have cable or satellite?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cable.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Who is your cable provider?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cox San Diego

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Normally Cox has a button that says HD ZOOM on its remote. You will need to use a combination of the HD ZOOM button on the cox remote and the WIDE button on the Vizio remote.

Please give this a try and let me know what happens.

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will do, thanks.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK, let me know.

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess I need to contact Cox about getting a remote.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
You dont have a cox remote?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does that come with the box? I only have the cable hookup, no box, so I guess no need for a remote...

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry my mistake...I assumed you have a cable box. You're saying your cable goes straight from the wall to TV ...no box at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah. Was going go get Tivo, but maybe I'll get that instead.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK if you do not have a cable box then the only option for size you have is the wide button on the Vizio remote...but you are saying none of them make the picture the correct size?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, it's different. I briefly had it adjusted except for one channel, and after trying to fix that they all reverted to narrow. I can get the image wide with the Zoom setting but then it cuts off some of the picture. I can also get it wide with the Wide setting and/or the Wide remote button but then the image is stretched out. I'm thinking it's a problem with the TV itself. Will see about returning it.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Yeah if you have straight cable with no box then the only option available is the one you are using, if its not fixing the issue then there could be something wrong with the set, glad its less than a year old and under warranty then.

Please let me know if you need anything.

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!
Tim