Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

my lg tv has no picture but it has sound and i replace the

Customer Question

my lg tv has no picture but it has sound and i replace the sus board what do i do next?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-What troubleshooting have you done on the set?
-How old is the unit?
-Is the panel primed?
-Any problems with the tv before you lost picture?
-Did the sympXXXXX XXXXXe at all when you replaced the Y sus?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i testeded all of the fusees and the tv is jan. 2009 i am not sure what you meen when you say primed i am not sure i turned it on and nothen i meen no picture but my sound was steel there and no change what is that two boards that is hooked on the y sus is for?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Primed would mean there is a glow to the screen when the tv is on (you may need to look for this in a dark room.

Can you test your VS and VA voltages?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no glow i check it and no i cant but i have a volt meater that i normaly use.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
We need to check the VS and VA voltages, your meter is not capable of checking these?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where is it that i need to check is it on the power board?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Yes, see the large connectors going out to the sustain boards? I need you to look and find the pins labeled VS and VA. Then we need a DC voltage reading on them.

If you like you can get me a picture of the board I can point out where this is.

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no i cant get you a picture .

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK then you need to find the pins labeled VS and VA, they are on the large connectors going to the sustain boards.

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i found them.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK check the DC on them. Push your red lead into the connector along with the wire, far enough that it touches the metal tip. Then put your black lead on ground, any of the metal on the back of the panel will do.

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what do i set the dc volt on?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
What options does your meter have?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1000 250 50 2.5 dcv it also have dc amps 250m 10m.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what happen to you?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Use 250. Sorry your message did not come through.

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the meater went to the 250 on the vs side and it went empetween the 50 and the 100 mark.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i think its got enought volts going out

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Larry, we just had a big storm roll through and knocked out all internet here, I think its past now and the internet seems stable.

The voltage should not be going up and down, it should go to one exact voltage and stop. The VS should be about 180v and the VA should be about 60v.

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it is i just dont know how to read the meater but i am learning i have been working on electronicks sence i was 14 years of age my uncle learned me to .

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
No problem, can you tell me, what is the model number for your meter?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes its a analog multimeter 9z47

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
What brand?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

GB INSTRUMENTS GMT-18 A

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Ok so you said it goes between 50 and 100.

The VS and the VA should be two different readings. You are saying they both read the same?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no there are reading the way you say 180 and 60.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK, so you see the heat sinks on the Z-sus? After the tv has been on for a while, do they get warm?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes they do .

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK do you see the two skinny boards attached to the Y sus? One goes from the top of the tv half way down and one from half way down to the bottom?
Do this:

Unplug the tv
Take the top board all the way out of the tv
Turn the tv on, do you get anything on the bottom half of the screen?
If yes, please let me know.

If not, please unplug the tv
Put the top board back in the tv and take the bottom board out of the tv.
Turn it on. Do you have anything on the top of the screen?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i am doing this now ok.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me know.

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it done nothen. but i did not have the botem bord plug all the way in.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Whats the tv doing now?

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

nothen just sound.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
You said you did not have the bottom board plugged in all the way? Plugging it in did not change anything?

Did you do the test by taking the two boards out one at a time?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes i did the test again. and nothen happen.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Ok, are your heat sinks on the Y sus getting warm too?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no they are not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did you get it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hay tim are you still there i got some impornet newes for you?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Larry, sorry I dont know what happened but none of your messages came through again.

OK so heat sinks on Y sus are cold, heat sinks on Z sus are warm?

What testing did you do before replacing the Y sus? What made you decide to replace the Y sus?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok this is what i need to tell you is the two skiny bords i re tested them with the old board and the bottom is working the top is black.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Ok that makes more sense!

You need to replace the top board then, that will fix your tv.

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks i figured that and i am sorry for taking up to much of youre time Larry S. ps can i give you my number?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
No problem, glad we got it figured out! Always happy to help no matter how long it takes!

Thanks,
Tim