Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech

the volume on my tv has gradually diminished, and now I can

the volume on my tv has gradually diminished, and now I can barely hear with it turned all the way up. the tv was built in 2005. Susan
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions;

Is this tv connected to a cable box/converter,satellite receiver,digital converter etc ?

Or directly to cable/antenna ?
Do you have other equipment like a dvd,bluray,games etc. connected to this tv ?
If so, do they seem to have the same problem ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is connected to a cable box, and there is nothing else connected to the tv

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then although I do have a good idea of what the problem is , there would be something to check first before I give you an answer on this;

Does the cable box have its own volume separate from the TV's volume ?
Some cable box do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, the box has a separate volume button - I've tried that, but nothing happens

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then it had to be tried first

Right now your tv has a very common problem for this model/chassis , this is caused by a weak capacitor on the supply line of the audio circuit.

I can give you the capacitor part location and value and all that would need to be done is to replace it.
You could actually walk in a repair shop with your tv and ask them to replace C2444 (that is the part location number and is sitting near the flyback transformer) , its value is 470MFDS/25volts

There is no reason why they could not do this for less than $75.
If you do not know of any repair shops in your area then click on the link below and enter your zip code ;

www.tvrepairpros.com

This will give you a list of repair shops in your area.

Give them a call with the info you have now ( part location C2444 capacitor 470mfds/25 volts) to get an idea of their rates , some might do it for even less than $75 .

Wish i had an easier solution for you today but i hope this help and I will be in standby if you have any questions.
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer if that answers your question and note that you can reach me here at anytime after this chat is closed if you have other questions.

Jack, Technician
Experience: 35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech