Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

Our TV keeps going black every minute or two. What can we

Our TV keeps going black every minute or two. What can we do
Welcome! I'm Dan, a TV repair pro with more than 10 years of experience in consumer electronics troubleshooting and repair. I'd be happy to help!

What's the model number on the back of the TV? Also, how old is it and have any parts ever been replaced?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We are trying to get the model #. It is about two years old and no parts

have ever been replaced. We know the trouble is not with cablevision because our other TV in another room is not having this trouble.

OK. Does this only happen if you're using the cable box? What about other sources like the DVD player, VCR, or game console?

Get back to me with the model number. No rush.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The model # XXXXX XXXXX We've only been using the cable box.

Thanks, Marleine.

Is there anything connected to the TV, besides the cable box? I'd really like to fire up a different video source (like a DVD player) to see if the problem still occurs.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay. We will put a DVD in. The DVD seems to be working just fine.

OK. Thanks for doing that!

Believe it or not, the fact that the DVD plays fine is actually good news. That means with practically 100% certainty, there isn't anything wrong with the TV. If there was an issue with the TV itself, it would manifest itself across the different inputs (cable box, DVD, etc.).

Do you use a cable box or is the TV connected directly to the wall (or maybe an antenna)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is hooked up directly to the cable box.

OK.

Then the problem must lie in the Sony's cable box, or the cable that's connecting the box to the TV.

You said your other TV is working fine with its cable box, right? That means the cable signal feeding the house is OK.

Here's what I would do...

* I would start by rebooting the cable box. To do that, disconnect its power cord for 5+ minutes... then reconnect.

* If the problem persists, I would replace the cable that connects the cable box to the TV. You can get one of these from Best Buy, Target, etc. Or your cable co. might even swap it for you.

* If neither of these help with the problem, have your cable co. replace the box.

Those are your possible root causes. Again, if the TV operates normally on the DVD input (i.e., it's not blacking out) then the TV itself is almost certainly fine and there's nothing really to worry about, besides the cable box itself.

I hope that helps, Marleine. If it doesn't, just let me know. Once you're satisfied, please rate the service I've provided by clicking a smiley face, then "Submit."

Best,
Thanks again for trusting me with your Sony. If you need anything else, be sure to let me know! There are other categories, too... Legal, Medical, etc.

Oh! The site should be sending you a short survey. Good marks on the survey are definitely appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Best,