Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

I have a Magnavox 20MF60ST/17, ser #BZ000542285380. I have

I have a Magnavox 20MF60ST/17, ser #BZ000542285380. I have turned it on, maybe, 3 dozen times and now when I attempt to turn it on the light light briefly turns green and then gold and.....the tv doesn't come on. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
DeXXXXX XXXXX
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's maybe 6-7 yrs old and was in my office. I had a long illness and so didn't go in there much, hence the low # XXXXX times it was turned on. I first noticed it about 6 months ago. Tried changing batteries in remote and turning on at the tv but got no positive results. Very frustrating....things just aren't built to last anymore

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. This problem is actually caused by the TV not being used often, and the TV actually relies on being power cycled regularly to last. Although 6-7 years is not a bad length of time for this TV (new LCD's typically last between 3-5 years without needing service), I understand you've not used the set much.

As a quick attempt to reboot the set, please disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the front of the TV for 10 seconds. Then plug the set back in and press power once. Let me know if you have the same problem please, and I will assist you further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Same thing still happened. Never knew that about these tv's....depressing. Anything else to try?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear that, and to give you the bad news on these sets. Unfortunately the way they're built are more to make them thin and streamlined, and almost all of the parts are outsourced to the lowest priced manufacturers in China. It's what's become of almost all American electronics unfortunately.

This means that the power supply in the TV is locked up and not powering up properly. This is repairable, but whether or not the cost of repairs is worth it is another matter entirely.

The power supply board needs to be replaced inside the set, as the humming that you're hearing is a shot in the transformer's secondary output which provides all of the voltages to operate the TV.

The average cost to have the board replaced in this set is around $150 parts and labor, and considering the set can be replaced for around $200-$225 for a brand new TV with Warranty, I would recommend against repairing this TV. I know this is not the answer you hoped for today, but the TV does indeed require service, and it is not a cost effective repair on a TV of this size.

I would consider putting that same money towards an LG or Toshiba as they tend to have better reliability from what I've seen.

If you need further assistance let me know. If you're satisfied with my service, please do not forget to rate the answer accordingly.

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for that info....who'd ever guess that NOT watching tv could be bad for the machine. I'll definitely be spreading that tid-bit around!