Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

I have a Hitachi L42X02PXW television that is turning off immediately

I have a Hitachi L42X02PXW television that is turning off immediately after I turn it on using the remote. In it's normal standby mode, the light is a steady red light. When I turn the TV on, I get a green light momentarily, it goes out, there is a "click" type of sound, and then the red light comes back on. The picture screen never seems to come on. The TV is about 4 years old.
Thanks.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

If I understand your problem correctly, once you finally are able to get the TV to come on, it will stay on and work perfectly until the next time you shut it off, let it cool down, and then it repeats the cycle again?

Also, did the problem occur randomly, then become more frequent over time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The problem started all of a sudden. It's been working fine and now it's having the problem. There weren't any indications that something was going wrong nor any intermittent problems.

Right now, I'm not able to get the TV to come on at all. As I previously stated, it's doing this on a cold set. I left it unplugged for 6 hours, tried to turn it on, and it wouldn't.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay when you say "cold" it means that the set was not powered up for some time as you said. I thought you were referencing this because it acted differently when it was "warm".

You have a short inside the set that is causing it to shut right back down after you turn it on. I'd like you to try a hard reboot and let me know if you have the same problem.

Please disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself for 10 seconds. Plug the TV back in and press power once. Let me know if anything changes please and we can proceed from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tried the reboot; still doing the same thing.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately the problem you're having with the TV indicates a component failure, and not something that can be corrected via any settings or adjustments in the TV.

I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can here.

One common cause of this is the power supply board. There are several capacitors that are prone to going out of spec, and can prevent the TV from powering up. Average cost for this type of repair is going to be $250 parts and labor.

The other common issue is a faulty Mainboard. This board carries the communication to the power supply to allow the supply to deliver it's voltages to the various circuits in the TV, and is around $350 parts and labor in this set.

Also, the backlight inverter boards which are responsible for lighting up the LCD display could be causing this problem. If one of the boards has a short, it can cause the power supply to shut down. Average cost of replacing the Inverters is around $350 parts and labor.

To determine which board in the TV is causing the failure, a Tech would need to measure the outputs of the power supply using a meter to see if any are shorted, or if another fault board is causing it to shut down.

I know this is not good news, and I wish there was a quick fix for this problem for you..

If you'd like, you can use the site below to locate a Tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance let me know and I will continue to assist you.

If you're satisfied with my service (not the problem with your TV), please do not forget to rate to rate the answer accordingly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome and sorry for the bad news. If you're looking to try and repair this yourself, or need any other assistance let me know.

If you're satisfied with my service, please do not forget to rate the service accordingly.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.