Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX A tOSHIBA 46HM84 MODEL DLP television...I

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX A tOSHIBA 46HM84 MODEL DLP television...I have replaced the bulb in the past, and am having issues with the picture again...I heard an audible "pop" in the back of the television and the picture went out, so I thought it was the bulb again...there is a green light and a red light on the front of the tv...green light stays solid and the red light blinks continuosly, no intervals betwwen, and the television will not power on. Could this be a picture tube issue instead of a bulb issue, and if so, is the repair worth the cost? can you give me a ballpark cost if so???
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?

There is no picture tube in this TV, your Lamp is what projects the picture.

How long ago did you replace the Lamp, and roughly how much did you purchase it for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it a flex tube instead? thats what the toshiba b.s. artist told me on the phone,he sounded like he could care less about answering my questions...I replaced the lamp about two years ago, and I have already ordered a new one that is a phoenix tb25 lmp that was $114 with the housing...I think the old one was $85...so if it is not the lamp when the new one arrives is this fixable or do I toss a $2500 tv in the trash??

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
No, there's no flex tube...or any such name for a component in this TV. The TV is definitely not trash....essentially every component in the TV is replaceable.

Now if you want to narrow it down further, the red and green lights blinking, and alternating back and forth directly indicate that the lamp has failed. This is per Toshiba's manual. This is not something to be concerned about, as I've seen Lamps last less than a year, to 2-3 years in your set. It's perfectly normal for the lamp to fail at this point in time. In the rare case that the Lamp is not the issue, then the ballast has failed which is the Lamp power supply.

In this case, the Ballast can be purchased for around $200, and a labor charge of about another $100.

If you need further assistance let me know.

If you're satisfied with my service, please do not forget to rate the answer accordingly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so I don't trash it...what would keep the tv from powering on then??I tried the original remote and the cable remote and the tv won't turn on at all...does that explain anything? I hate to keep asking, but the closest Toshiba service place is about 45 minutes away...just trying to narrow it down and consider all my options

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The TV's not powering up because the Lamp's failed and it's in safe mode. When the lamp is completely unable to be sparked, the set tried to power cycle several times, then red and green alternate continuously. This is textbook lamp failure, and you need to replace the lamp in order for the TV to power up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay the first time the bulb went out a few years ago, the green light blinked ten times, and the tv powered off, every time I tried to turn it on. Now, the green light is staying on the ENTIRE time, and the red light is blinking CONTINUOSLY, hence the dilemma I am having in wondering if it is the same problem...would that indicate a ballast problem, and if so can i fix the ballast or must it be serviced? where do you buy a ballast, as all the sites I see only seem to sell the lamps with or without housings?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Ahh, sorry I misread. So your green light stays steady and the red light blinks continuously.

This one should make you happy...according to the manual green light steady, red light blinking at .5 second intervals indicates the lamp door is not closed securely. Please unplug the TV, then carefully remove and reinstall the lamp, then make sure the lamp door is secure. Plug it back in and press power. Let me know if you have the same issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Alright, it has to be the bulb because I did what you said and I can now turn the tv on and get sound, just no picture...the new bulb should be here hopefully tomorrow so if I have any issues I will let you know...Thanks alot buddy, you were very helpful and hopefully I will have a tv back in working order soon!!

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, let me know what happens tomorrow. Also keep in mind that you can reply back to this question at no additional cost even once the answer is rated.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.