Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

Hi there, Have a Mitsubishi Home cinema television, Model

Hi there,
Have a Mitsubishi Home cinema television, Model # XXXXX Serial # XXXXX purchased Feb 2011 from QVC.com Last evening started having problems. Turn on TV, set keeps flashing from blue screen then black every 3 seconds, no picture (other than HDMI-2 icon) no sound. Our fiber cable system is fine, all other sets in house are not having problems. We had trouble turning off the set, so we held the power button on the TV for 10 seconds. TV turned off. We waited 15-20 minutes then tried again. Did not reset to normal operation.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

So, the only device connected to this TV is the cable box correct?

Also, when the picture started going to a blue screen, you still saw the HDMI 1 icon unaffected on the screen correct?

Do you have any other devices connected such as a DVD player that display normally on this TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We have a JVC surround sound DVD player connected also. It is the same device we have had all along with this TV. The right option (Aux) is selected.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply.

I'm not sure you understood what I was asking.

You stated that the screen went blue with the HDMI 1 showing in the corner when you were watching the cable box.

So what happens when you try to watch a DVD- does that work, or does it also have the same problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I changed the TV set to HDMI-1(usual setting for DVD to play) the player had some sound for a little bit, no picture, then the disc stopped playing. Husband had the sound cranked up last night, watching Patriot movie, prior to problem with the TV (?)

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, is the Cable Box connected directly to the TV with an HDMI cable, or is it running through the JVC surround system?

In other words, does the HDMI cable from the Cable Box plug into the TV, or into the Blu Ray player?

The reason I ask is to isolate the problem by determining where it is coming from.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cable goes to the TV, does not go through the DVD player. DVD player is connected to TV through other ports/connections.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay thank you.

Based on the fact that you said the Cable Box first lost picture, then also that the DVD player lost picture, this indicates a problem with the TV itself that cannot be corrected via any settings or adjustments.

The TV needs a software update to fix the problem. The TV's mainboard runs on software that allows it to produce the video image from external devices, and when you have the problems you've had with the set, it means the software is corrupt and needs to be updated.

If you're looking to perform this update yourself, the link below is to Mitsubishi's support page, and has instructions on how to perform the download (you will need a USB drive to download the software onto), and also the update. You will need the most current version fo the firmware to fix this problem.

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/support/documents/WD-73738

If you are not comfortable performing this type of repair yourself, then you would need to use the same link to locate an Authorized Mitsubishi repair center to update the TV for you.

I wish I had a quick fix for you on this problem tonight, but unfortunately the software does indeed need to be updated.

If you need further assistance let me know.

If you're satisfied with my service (not the problem that the TV is having), please do not forget to rate my service accordingly.

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.