Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

Hi I have a techwood dvr99 500watt home theater receiver. Everytime

Hi I have a techwood dvr99 500watt home theater receiver. Everytime I hit the power button to turn it on, it fashes dvd/cd, then flashes protect, then flashes offand turns off. What is wrong or what do I need to do?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the system for, and when did the problem occur?

Was it after the receiver was moved, or new equipment was added/connected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've had it for about 8 or 9 years it was given to me. The problem occurred about 3 years ago and it was working and stable at the time it just stopped working. It's always been connected to my big screen television. I've moved since then but it still says the same thing. Before I got rid of it I wanted to see if I could fix it. No new equipment, same stuff that came with it even same tv.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply and please read the following below in full.

"Protect" is an indicator that there are either ONE of the following issues occuring:

1) A blown or faulty speaker connected to the receiver (showing the Receiver's Speaker Outputs a Dead Short).

2)A speaker wire that is shorting against the chassis, or a bare end of wire touching an adjacent wire (The MOST common cause of this problem).

3) Faulty Output Transistors inside the receiver itself. These are the IC devices that directly Power and Drive the Speakers.

Unplug the unit from AC power, and disconnect all of the speakers AND Speaker Wiring) from the back of the receiver. Upon plugging back in, press and hold the power button at the same time for 5-10 seconds to force a hard reset.

If the unit starts up normally start connecting the speakers one at a time (shutting the power down before connecting each one), until one of the speakers causes the "Protect" indicator to come on. This speaker is faulty and would need to be replaced.

If the unit shows "Protect" with NO speakers connected, then it needs the output transistors replaced inside the unit. These directly drive the loudspeaker outputs on the receiver itself, and one or more of them being shorted (closed circuit), will trigger the error on the display of the receiver, and it will not go off until the problem is repaired. They are not user-replaceable as they are PCB mounted, and thermally coupled to a heatsink. In this case, the unit is in need of service.

In this case, you can use the link below to locate a service center in your area:

www.stereorepair.com

If you need further assistance let me know.

If you're satisfied with my service, please do not forget to rate the answer accordingly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's still doing the same thing so I guess it may need some work! Not sure, thanks for your time. I appreciate it.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear that. The Output stage that drives the speakers is faulty, and you are looking at closer to $200 parts and labor. I would think long and hard before deciding to put the unit on a bench, as a tech will typically charge a labor minimum of around $50-$75 to diagnose, which is non-refundable if you choose to not have the repairs done. A used, or new unit with Warranty may be money better spent, but of course the choice is your call. If you'd like, you can use the site below to locate a Tech in your area:

www.stereorepair.com

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.