Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

Hi. My Sony Tv isnt getting a signal. Cable and Wifi are

Hi. My Sony Tv isn't getting a signal. Cable and Wifi are both fine. All I did was turn it on, didn't unplug anything....any idea?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game console, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model no is KDL-46Ex400

No other problems with cable, etc.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried all inputs via the INPUT button on the Sony remote?
You get no picture on any of them?
Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have and still no picture
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
What are all the options you had when using the INPUT button?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually it's Video Source and they are:
TV
HDMI 1 - 4
Video 1 and 2
Component 2
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Is the cable box the only thing you have hooked to the tv?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cable box and router
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
How is the cable box hooked up?

The choices are:

Component cables: 5 wires between the tv and the device, these are color coded on the end and have a green, a blue, a red, a white, and another red cable

Composite cables: 3 wires between the tv and the device, these are color coded on the end and have a yellow, a white, and a red.

HDMI: 1 wire between the tv and the device, this is a single wire and looks like a computer plug on each end, similar to a large USB connector.

Coax: This is 1 wire between the tv and the device as well. This is the normal cable wire with the end the screws

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HDMI
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK so we could have a problem with:

The HDMI input on the TV
The HDMI output on the cable box
Or a bad HDMI cable itself.

We are going to need to start testing to determine which one is bad.

Probably the easiest is to switch to a different HDMI port on the back of the tv to start with. Can you try this?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK, let me know how it goes please.

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There only is 1.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
You have 4 HDMI ports on that tv. You only see the one you are using?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wait. They are on the side. Hold on.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
No problem, take your time.

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is the remote and the manual buttons will not let me scroll to select another source. It is stuck on TV as the source.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
I thought you said you could go to all 4hdmi, compontent, composite and tv via the input button on the Sony remote?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. I can get the list of them on the screen but cannot scroll down.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok are they all ghosted (or greyed)out other than the TV option?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope. The only one that is grayed out is component 1
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
You are using the remote in the picture on the left at the link below right? And pushing the down arrow wont move the selection?

http://remotes.com/remotes/servlet/rs?a=gmi&smodel=KDL46EX400&brand_pn=SONY_KDL46EX400&mode=large&uuid=13733334716220

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
If you push the input button several times in a row, it wont cycle through the options either?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That worked! And got it to work by moving the cable to HDMI 2. Thank you!
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Awesome! Glad its working. Please let me know if you need anything at all in the future.

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.