Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

I just bought a used RCA Scenium Model HDLP50W151. It keeps

I just bought a used RCA Scenium Model HDLP50W151. It keeps displaying unusable signal. I can't get a cable signal to work or get my DVD player to work. I know that cable should work because when I picked it up It was working with Direct TV, so since I have Comcast when I got home I just switched the antenna from Air to Cable thinking it would be that easy but it just said unusable signal since then I've been messing with the Menu to see if I could make the signal come in but I've been unsuccessful I've changed so many different menu settings that If I did something wrong I wouldn't know what it is so What could be wrong and how can I fix it?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-Do you have a cable box or does the cable go straight from the wall to the tv?
-How did you hook the DVD player up? (component, composite, hdmi, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a Cable box and as far as the dvd player I just hooked it up to the AV input in the back

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
How did you hook the cable box up?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I put the coaxial cable in antenna A

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK if you put the tv on channel 3, what happens?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It say unusable signal

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
What about 04?

Also when you put it on 3 and now on 4, you are using the RCA remote right, not the cable remote?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah and it still say unusable signal

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
It is odd that you cannot get a picture from either device yet it was working when you picked it up.

Did you hook the DVD to AV1? When you set the tv to AV1 with the INPUT button on the RCA remote doe sit say unusable signal there too?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah it's hook up to input1 and it still say unusable signal

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
When you push the INPUT button on the RCA remote, what options does it give you?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It say Front Input, Input 1 ,Input 2, Input 3 ,Input 4, Input 5 and then it just goes back to the mane antenna A channel

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK do you have HD cable service?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No just SD

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
How about your dvd, does it have a component output?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah video and audio output

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
So the dvd has a component output? (green, blue, red, white and red)

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it just has Red, White ,Yellow and a black one

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried using all possible inputs on the back to hook that up, do they all not work?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah they all say unusable signal

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
DO you know how the other person had it hooked up to their direct tv? Did they use component or HDMI?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah he just had it hook up with the coaxial cable to antenna A channel 03

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK have you tried running the auto channel programming scan while the cable box was on?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it found 0 Channels

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Did you have this cable box hooked up to another tv before this one?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes in fact it's rite next to it and when I plug in the coaxial cable it works just fine

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
The same coax cable that you had in the RCA, you took out of the RCA, put in the other tv, put the other tv on channel 3 and got a picture?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
You have me baffled here, you should just need to hook the coax line to the tv, then set it to channel 3.

You should definitely found channels when running the channel scan.

So from what I see here, you are doing everything correctly.

I am sorry but I have to go, I have a 2 week old and my wife needs some rest so I must sign off for the night. I am going to opt out and open this to other experts, hopefully one will see something I am missing here and be able to get you back in business soon.

Thank you,
Tim
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a different Expert here.

Does the back of your Cable Box have a set of Red,White and Yellow AV connections on it?

As a test, can you connect those to the TV's Video Input, then select that Input using the TV remote to see if you have a signal on the TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No unfortunately it only has coaxial cable hook up

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay I understand. If you've used this cable box in the past without any issues we know we've got a good box and signal. The TV antenna Input, Cable selected, then channel scan run are the correct procedures to follow.

I'm going to assume that you of course had the cable box turned on when you ran the scan as well correct? No chance of a bad coaxial cable between the box and the TV as well right?

Now, what causes me to stop and check other things, is the fact that you cannot get a signal from the DVD player as well. How is the DVD player connected to the TV, and have you tried ALL of the Input choices on the set-waited for 2-3 seconds for a picture to show up, and still had no signal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I had the cable box on when I was running the Chanel scan and the dvd player is hooked up to the Yellow and Red AV output and in to the the Yellow and Red AV Input to the TV The weird thing about it is that what ever Input channel it is plugged in to the Input Channel say Composite

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, you need to actually use the TV remote to manually change the Input to what you're trying to view. So, use the OEM remote and change the Inputs, are you able to do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I'm a bit confused. You said that no matter which Input you're plugged into, it says composite. So you mean each time you press INPUT on the remote, the screen actually says "Composite"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

witch ever Input I plug the dvd player in to the back of the TV it say Composite on the screen when it's on the input channel

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay I understand. Something is definitely wrong with the Mainboard on this set. Please disconnect the TV from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 15 seconds, then plug the set back in and power it on. Then connect the DVD to the set, turn it on and try selecting the Input. Do you have the same problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I power it back on should it be with the remote or the button the TV?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Either one it does not matter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it really didn't do any thing

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
That was a hard reset of the TV's EEPROM in case the processor was locked up and causing the problem you're having. Unfortunately the issue is within the TV's Mainboard not producing a video signal from the external Inputs, or the tuner. You've tried two different devices, selected all of the different Inputs, and cannot get a signal on the TV using either the built in Tuner, or an external AV device. There are no resets or buttons on the TV that you can press to fix this problem and the TV does indeed require service. I wish I had better news. If there's any recourse with the seller, I would pursue that as we've done everything right and this isn't anything that you caused. The Mainboard on the TV is the board that contains all of the external AV Inputs as well as the TV's Tuner, and this board's processor EEPROM has the fault. The average cost for this type of repair is around $350 parts and labor on this set.

If you can pursue a refund with the seller, I would go that route.

If you'd like to have the set repaired, you can use the following link to locate a Tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance let me know.

If you're satisfied with my service, please do not forget to rate the service accordingly.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.