Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

Once my Sony Bravia has been on for 15 to 20 minutes, stripes

Once my Sony Bravia has been on for 15 to 20 minutes, stripes take over 1/2 of the screen. the stripes match the colors of whatever is showing on the tv. I can turn the tv off and it will be ok when I turn it back on but then the stripes return. Help.
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game console, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Model # XXXXX XXXXX and I think it is about 6 years old. The only thing hooked up to it was the dvd and it is now disconnected.,

Which half of the screen do you get stripes on? right or left?

If you push the MENU button on the tv itself, does the menu show up normal?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Stripes on left side. If I push the menu button on the tv the right side gets black and the left side stays striped.

What if you push the volume up or down button on the tv?, Does the volume indicator show up?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The volume goes up but the indicator is under the stripes and does not show up.

It does not show up on the side without the stripes too?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK...Is there a pattern to the stripes or are they completely random?

Also you said this does not start for 15-20 mins? The picture is perfect for the first 15-20?

Also, is your sound normal during this entire time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The stripes are the same width across the tv all the time. The color of the stripes seems to be the colors that are on the picture on the right side of the screen.

Picture is good for the first 15 or 20 minutes.

Sound is normal. You can adjust up or down but can't see the indicator.

Can you get me a picture of the screen by chance? I would like to see the problem myself if I could?

If so, the easiest way is to upload it somewhere like and send me the link.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here is the link to the picture. Let me know if it does not work.

Thank you for the picture, that is exactly what I needed. There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First could be the main or t-con boards, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $200-$300 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over what would be smart to put into it for repair)

Also you could have a problem with the panel itself, this would mean a new set for sure because the part cost is more than a new set. The panel in your tv is about $1200 just for the part.

Either of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!