Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have a Toshiba TP43H95 projection tv that is not staying

I have a Toshiba TP43H95 projection tv that is not staying on. The red light by the power button flashes on and off. Is it worth spending good money to try to repair or just junk it?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?
Was it after a storm or power outage?
Does the standby/timer light blink continuously, or in a pattern (such as 5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks, pause, etc.)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have had the TV since 1999 when new.

Noticed the problem happened occassionally 5 weeks ago. Don't think it was after a storm but it could have been.

We think that it blinks continuously. After being unplugged for a couple of hours it has been working now for about 13 minutes so can't tell you for sure.

Can you help or just junk it?

Thanks for the reply.

As far as help, I can tell you there isn't a reset button that will work, and I cannot repair the set from here. So, I can diagnose the problem and tell you what it would cost to fix (Which is what I presume you came here for today), and then you can use that information to determine whether you'll junk it or not.

You have an intermittent failing component, which means that eventually the TV will not power up at all. There are several problems that could cause this. A failing CRT, a failing Flyback, or a failure in the Power Supply. All of these problems are common with your set, and would require component replacement in order for the TV to function normally again.

Average cost for this type of repair will between $250-$400 depending on which circuit has the failure on the set. Given that a new LCD TV would cost you only around $500 for the same sized TV, I would think long and hard before deciding whether or not to repair this set.

Unfortunately, there are no resets or series of buttons you can press that will solve this problem and the set will require component replacement to operate normally again.
If you'd like to have the set repaired, you can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

If you need further assistance let me know and I will be glad to assist you.

If you're satisfied with my service, please do not forget to rate the answer accordingly.