Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS

Just had a technician in to repair my Samsung TV that would

Just had a technician in to repair my Samsung TV that would not come on. (It had the symptoms of a bad capcitor.) The technicin intially said it was a bad red LED. He got the picture to appear and it was obvious that red was missing. I asked him what magic he did to get the tv to come on and I got a garbled response. Minutes later I walked back into the room and the red was back on my screen. He said that the red LED was loose. question is, 'Can a red LED prevent my tv from powering up?'
Hello my name is Anthony
Thanks for the Question

I may be a few minutes between each request for info thanks for your patience!

Is the lights blinking in the front of the set?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The green LED furthest to right was was flashing as though it was going to come on. (This was the asecond time that it has occured. The first time about a year or so ago it 'healed' itself.) Which is why Samsung set up the repair.

OK I see just give me 5 mins please to pull the manual

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please take your time....just doesn't seem to make sense that the LED would prevent the tv from powering up.

The LED blinking means the set is in boot up mode however that extra info you gave about the red LED going bad means that yes you probably have a drive problem to the LED or the LED itself is bad, let me tell you these are not ordinary LEDs like the one blinking on the front of the set but produce a very bright red green and blue so are high current driven devices, its likely theirs a drive problem to the LED however
You should get samsung back again to fix the set properly this time

Let me know if you need more info

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In your opinion what would be the correct fix?

I can't help but feel that I paid $89.00 and didn't get the real problem addressed.

The guy said it was a bad LED - then he was able to 'fix' it.... Only after I mentioned that the light tunnel had started to fail. (Seems he realized that I knew a little more about the tv than he anticipated.) He's going to get back to me with a quote to replace the light tunnel.

The thing is TJ you have the same fault as before that simply isnt right, its not been fixed properly and you should follow up on that, sometimes "doing something" in the back of the set is not enough the real underlying problem has not been addressed which from what you have said seems to be an LED drive issue, it would appear to me the tech has skirted the underlying cause and you should be covered by warrenty for the repair for that.

Let me know if you need more info