Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

my hitachi tv after a power outage has been making a click

my hitachi tv after a power outage has been making a click sound as it the picture goes on and off as i try to watch tv
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

Can you please get me the model number off of the back of the TV?
How long have you had the set for?
Also, is the power light on the set blinking, along with the clicking sound?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have had it since 2007.

where is the set blinking button?

the TV is mounted. Per the TV manual it could be one of the following

p42h401; p50h401; p55h401; p42h4011; p50h4011; p55h4011

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply.

The difference in model numbers is based on screen size- so P42, would be the 42", etc. Do you know how big the screen is?

I'm asking you if the power light on the TV is flashing/blinking when the click sound is heard please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no. it does not blink

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Let's try a basic reboot of the TV. Please disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 15 seconds. Then plug the set back in and press power once. Let me know if you have the same problem please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did not work. problem persist

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately there are no resets or adjustments that will fix this problem, and the click sound and the fact that it occured after a power outage is significant.

There are two possibilities as to what was damaged. The first, is the Power Supply Board, or more specifically the capacitors on this board will absorb the brunt of the surge, will explode or short internally causing the Power Supply to see a dead short and not supply the DC voltages to the other circuits in the set. The other culprit, is the Mainboard- which is the board that houses all of the Audio/Video jacks on the back of the TV. The shield on any of the RCA, HDMI or Antenna Inputs acts as a ground/drain for any voltage that travels down the ground of a cable connected to it and can short out this board. Because the Mainboard supplies the communication to the Power Supply to allow the set to turn on, either of them can be your problem. Voltage tests must be performed at the Power Supply Outputs to determine if IT or the Mainboard are causing your problem. The average cost for this type of repair is going to be between $250-$350 parts and labor depending on which is found at fault. If you'd like, you can use the link below to locate a Tech in your area:
www.tvrepairpros.com

I wish I had better news on this problem today.

If you need further assistance or are looking to try and repair this yourself let me know.

If you're satisfied with my service, please do not forget to rate the answer accordingly.

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.