Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Returned from vacation, TV will not turn on. Red power light

Returned from vacation, TV will not turn on. Red power light flashes. Any suggestions?
[email protected]

TV ios a 1080p Plasma HDTV
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

I will need the model number off of the back of the TV.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?

Does the standby/timer light blink continuously, or in a pattern (such as 5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks, pause, etc.)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

model TH46PZ85U

Purchased in 2008

Red light flashes 2 times then approx 3 sec delay

Thank you for the reply.

This problem can be due to a simple EEPROM glitch that needs to be reset, or it can go deeper.

Please disconnect the set from AC power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 15 seconds, release and plug the set back in. Then press power once and LET me know what happens please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did as said, same results no picture.

Does the light start blinking as soon as the set is plugged in, or only after you press power?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Red light did not start to flash till power button was pushed after re plugging.

Unfortunately, the Mainboard, or the Power Supply output to the Mainboard on your set has failed. They work in tandem to allow the set to turn on, the Power Supply provides the voltages to various circuits in the TV, and the Mainboard contains much of the communication required for the Power Supply to turn on. The power supply is the board that the AC cord connects to inside the TV. Often times, one or more capacitors on this board fail, and will give you these symptoms. The Mainboard is the board directly mounted to the rear panel of the set, that routes and processes all of the AV signals to the TV. This is a common mode of failure for these sets. Average cost or this type of repair is around $250-$300 parts and labor. There is no reset or series of buttons you can press to fix this problem, and the set will require service.

If you'd like you can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

If you need further assistance or are looking to repair this yourself, please let me know and I will be glad to assist you further.

if you're satisfied with my service (not the problem with the TV), please do not forget to rate the answer accordingly.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for trying.

I'm sorry to bring you bad news on the set. The blink code is specific, and there are also specific troubleshooting steps in the Panasonic service manual for this set. 2 blinks means we need to check the P and A boards primarily to determine which has the fault. If you need further assistance let me know.

If you're satisfied with my service (not the problem with the TV), please do not forget to rate the answer accordingly.