Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

How to reset timer on a Panasonic HDTV VIVA PT-50LC13 without

Customer Question

How to reset timer on a Panasonic HDTV VIVA PT-50LC13 without the original remote but with a SONY Universal Remote. OK , I reset the meter it said to 0. Where to go now to get tv to stay on.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is Tim, I am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-What exactly is the tv doing? (how long is it staying on before shutting off, what does it do when it shuts down, lights, noises, etc.)
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Panasonic HDTV VIVA PT-50LC13 kept going on and off after I used an Universal Remote to reset the meter to 0. Now it when I turn it on it no longer shows the blue box with white writing saying replace the lamp ( did this a month ago) and reset the meter.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Sorry not fully understanding here Brenda, what exactly is the tv doing when you turn it on?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The tv light blinks green and the tv comes on for about 2 minutes and then shuts off. At first , the tv would say please replace lamp and reset meter. I replace the lamp and thought I had reset the meter about a month ago. This morning it shows a good picture but the once again it said replace the lamp

and reset the meter. I reset the meter to zero (0). Is there a number I was suppose to reset the meter to like 10,000 or what?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK so the meter means nothing as far as the tv shutting off goes. With this model you can not reset that timer ever and the tv will still work, the message will stay on the screen but the tv will still work.

So how long ago did you replace the lamp? Where did you get the lamp from?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

May 24, 2013- Electrified Discounters,Inc.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Did it work for a month then and then stop working or have you had this problem since the beginning?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It worked for a month and then stop working, this the second time I replaced the lamp in 9 years.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, I am worried about the lamp you got...I have had tons of problems with the company you bought your lamp from and I have seen so many customers get junk lamps from them.

That company sells generic lamps, they are not OEM. They say they are equivalent to OEM but I can guarantee you they are not.

They normally sell your lamp for around $35, is that right? I can tell you my cost at my shop is around $50-55 for just the bulb when I buy in bulk...so i can guarantee you they are not selling you a good lamp.

A good lamp will normally cost $100 or more.

I would recommend ordering one from someone like www.dlplampsource.com, they sell a good quality product and I have never had a problem with their lamps.

Www.shopjimmy.com also sells a lamp that is not OEM but has had a good reputation as of late...if you do not want to spend the money on a OEM from someone like dlplampsource.com then I would recommend shopjimmy.com You may get one for around $50-60...its not going to last as long as an OEM but it will be 100 times better than the lamp that electrified discounters sold you.

I am sorry to bring bad news Brenda, I know you were hoping for an easier fix here, unfortunately I have seen people have problems with lamps one too many times from that company...sometimes they last a week, sometimes a month but rarely more than 3 months.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!

Thanks,

Tim