Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience:  20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.
34633555

My Sherwood receiver appears to be working but there is no

My Sherwood receiver appears to be working but there is no sound. I believe it also recognizes the remote, but there's still no sound.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.

Anthony's TV :

Hello Please BE aware This is tech information service. you are paying for the benefit of my real world experience and can save you time and money

Anthony's TV :

When you turn the unit on you should hear a click a few seconds AFTER it turns on

Anthony's TV :

this is the protection relay releasing and allowing sound to the speakers

Anthony's TV :

if there is a problem and DC is detected or a short circuit in the speaker wires or the final stages of the amp

Anthony's TV :

the relay will not engage and there will be no sound

Anthony's TV :

uhook everything from the unit

Anthony's TV :

and turn it on with no speakers

Anthony's TV :

if you do not hear the second click

Anthony's TV :

the amp is fried and it will req service

Customer:

I heard the second click, but there was still no sound.

Anthony's TV :

then tune your radio to TUNER an FM station tha you get

Anthony's TV :

make sure the TAPE 2 Button is NOT engaged

Anthony's TV :

and you should hear the radio

Anthony's TV :

if the second click egaged the amp is good

Anthony's TV :

there is no issue with the amp

Anthony's TV :

Its very late here reply and ill catch it in the morning

Anthony's TV :

go ahead

Customer:

I didn't hear any radio at all.

Anthony's TV :

TAPE 2

Anthony's TV :

make sure it is turned off

Anthony's TV :

speakers a or b on depending where you hooked up your speakers

Customer:

There's only one tape button and it is off. The speakers are on as far as I can tell.

Anthony's TV :

what is the model of this unit?

Customer:

RX-4105

Anthony's TV :

does your display say TUNED STEREO?

Anthony's TV :

on the station freq?

Customer:

Yes, Right now it is tuned on an AM station.

Anthony's TV :

and it says TUNED and if you move it off the station the TUNED goes away

Customer:

Yes, exactly.

Anthony's TV :

where are your speakers connected?

Anthony's TV :

Do you have the remote?

Anthony's TV :

check to see if MUTE is on?

Customer:

In the back left hand side. The silver wire is in the black and the copper wire is in the red. If the mute is on, it will say so.

Anthony's TV :

does it also say SPK A on the display?

Customer:

Not now. Sometimes it says SPK A, SPK B, or SPK AB.

Anthony's TV :

make it say SP A

Customer:

I just did.

Anthony's TV :

SP A is the top row of Speaker connections in the middle of the amp

Anthony's TV :

did you hook up to these jacks?

Anthony's TV :

with the bare wires?

Customer:

The wires were bare, but they had some hard plastic coating around part of them.

Anthony's TV :

make sure the bare part is in the jack

Anthony's TV :

then close the tab to lock

Customer:

I've done that.

Anthony's TV :

if you dont have some kid of sound after this then there is a swiching prpblem and the unit needs service

Anthony's TV :

Good luck with it....

Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience: 20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.