Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I have an AV Receiver TX-SR706 with a PS-3, a cable box, and

Customer Question

I have an AV Receiver TX-SR706 with a PS-3, a cable box, and a Samsung TV all connected and working fine. I have a Re-Sound hearing system which will Bluetooth with the Receiver through the headphone jack. It works great if I am alone. The headphone jack mutes the sound for anyone else in the room. Where can I connect the Bluetooth so the sound will continue through the surround sound? Perhaps there is a setting to be changed somewhere.

I tried hitting Onkyo mute a couple of times but it only turned the sound off and on in the hearing aids.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

The headphone out jack on the Onkyo actually has a physical self shorting connection that shuts off the receiver's internal speakers- and this is commonplace in most AV receivers today.

Now, in order to get you the best connection, I would need to know the model number off of the back of the TV, as well as the connection scenario.

What I need to know regarding the connections, is are the PS3 and Cable Box connected directly to the Onkyo via HDMI, then a single HDMI out to the TV?

Or are the PS3 and Cable Box connected directly to the TV via HDMI, with a single Optical Out from the TV to the receiver?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great questions!

All connections are HDMI. One HDMI to the TV.

PS3 and Cable box are HDMI to Onkyo only.

HDMI to TV is the blue fancy smantzy video kind

HDMI to Onkyo is the red fancy kind...

Ya, I know that isn't all that important but... I was trying ..

Samsung model:

No rush, thank you for your time...

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the reply. I am looking up settings on the Onkyo right now to see if there is a workaround besides using the Headphone Out to allow the headphones to work while listening to the speakers.

When you have a chance, can you please post back and let me know if the Headephones you have, also accept an RCA connection?

If so, try connecting them to the Red and White RCA stereo Outputs on the back of the receiver labeled "Front" and let me know if this works to solve the problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes they do accept RCA connection.

I'll give that a try, tomorrow afternoon.

thank you Eric!

I had not seen the RCA labeled Front

"in the back" but then ...

I'm not too surprised...

I'll find those suckers!

And let you know!

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
The jacks I'm referring to, are in the set of jacks labeled "Pre Out" and they're in between "surr back", and "Center". Let me know how it works out.