Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

I have a Samsung Model # XXXXX Serial # XXXXX that

Customer Question

I have a Samsung Model # XXXXX Serial # XXXXX that started making a loud vibrating noise while we were watching it. We turned and unplugged the TV to see if the noise would stop to but no avail. Any suggestions??
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I'm Dan, a TV repair pro with more than 10 years of experience in consumer electronics troubleshooting and repair. I'd be happy to help!

I've seen this issue a few times on your model. It the noise quite loud? Can you hear it from across the room? Also, does it sound like a high pitched grinding noise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

noise is loud and yes it can be heard from across the room and no it doesn't sound like a high pitched grinding noise.

Karen

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Karen.

Is the picture affected at all? Any discoloration issues? Flashing on screen, maybe?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The answer to the first two questions is maybe but no flashing.

Karen

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks for clarifying. This is a pretty common issue.

The TV's color wheel is failing. The color wheel resembles a small fan.... each "blade" is made of glass, and each one is a different color. It spins at about 10,000 RPM and helps to filter the white light coming from the TV's lamp.

Over time, the motor that spins the wheel can begin to seize... that's the noise you're hearing... the motor working overtime to try and maintain that 10,000 RPM speed.

The color wheel is replaceable... so that's good news. The part normally runs about $100. For parts and labor, you'd be right around $350 at most local TV shops.

Alternatively, you or someone you know could do the labor portion... that way you'd only be spending for the replacement wheel. I can help with that, too, if that's the path you want to take.

I hope this answers your question. If it doesn't or if you want more information, just let me know!

Best,
Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where would I locate the color wheel replacement?

Karen

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Good question.

The part number is BP96-00250A. You can order one >>here<<.

There's a good tutorial at >>this link<<, and also some good videos >>here<<.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again for using the site, and for letting me assist you. If you need anything else, now or in the future, be sure to let me know! There are other categories, too... Legal, Medical, etc.

Oh! The site should be sending you a short survey. I'd really appreciate good marks. Thanks in advance!

Best,