Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

I have Philips wireless earphones model SBC HC 8542 that are

I have Philips wireless earphones model SBC HC 8542 that are used for the TV only. I had no problem until we replaced our TV with a Samsung plasma 52" some 18 months ago. I am unable to get any sound through the earphones. The earphones are fully charged and all plugs are secure.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

What is the model number off of the new TV, and which jacks on the TV are you plugged into?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The model number of the TV is: PS 58C6500 TF and I have the earphones plugged into the headphone icon jack. There appears to be no other place other than this one. Thank you Aric. My name is June.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply June. When you plug the headphones into this jack on the TV, do the TV's internal speakers cut out?

Also, are you 100% sure there's a headphone icon next to the jack on the TV, and that it does not say "PC in" next to them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No.

Yes, it is definitely a headphone icon. PC jacks are about 3 or 4 inches below the headphone jack.

I should also mention that we use a sound system but I have tried the earphones both through the sound system and through the TV to no avail.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

When you plug the headphones into the TV's headphone jack, do the TV's speakers cut out, or are you not using the TV speakers at all?

I think this problem has more to do with how the cable box, surround system and tv are connected.

Can you please tell me how you receive your TV broadcasting (cable box, etc.), and is the cable box audio running directly to the sound system, or to the TV then back to the sound system?

If you can tell me the make and model of the sound system, and exactly how these devices are connected I can wrap my head around the problem to try and find you a solution.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Most TV viewing is through cable except for SBS and ABC when we view free-to-air. Apparently the cabling in the building does not cater for these channels.

As to the rest of your questions I just don't know if I can answer them. I'm 74 yrs of age and no nothing about this sort of thing.

I've just had a look at the back of the two boxes but, really, I have no idea what to look for.

The sound system is Panasonic SA PT 875.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you June.

What I really need to know is if the TV's speakers are also being utilized when viewing TV programming, or if all of the sound is coming from the Panasonic?

If the TV's speakers are being utilized, then do they shut off when the headphone plug is connected to the headphone jack on the TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It appears that all sound is emanating from the Panasonic. I thought when I viewed free-to-air the sound came through the TV speakers but this is not so. I've never taken too much notice of where the speakers for the TV are located but obviously they are built into the set. I can't hear anything coming from the TV.

So in answer to your second question, I am unable to tell if they shut off because I don't know that there is sound in order for it to shut off.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
What's likely causing the problem here is that the TV's internal speakers are shut off (which also disables the headphone out jack), and ALL sound is being routed through the Home Theater system. We would need to know if the AV devices' audio is being routed directly to the Panasonic system (which means there is no sound actually passing to the TV), or if they're routed to the TV first, and the TV's internal speakers are simply shut off.

If you do not know any of this, can you contact whomever set this system up for you?

It would be a matter of making sure Audio signals are routed to the TV before passing to the sound system, and also making sure that in the Samsung settings, that TV speakers are set to "ON", or "Internal".

Sorry there's not a quick fix for this problem today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Aric. What annoys most is the fact that I had a technician (so-called) look at the problem only a few months ago. One would have thought that any competent professional would have picked that up straight away. I appreciate your help. Obviously I need to find someone competent to fix the problem. I appreciate your help Aric.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I would suggest bookmarking this page and show the technician the connections I outlined above so he can wrap his head around how this would need to work.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.