Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

SONY BRAVIA TV Closed captioning stopped working after many

SONY BRAVIA TV Closed captioning stopped working after many years.

My TIVI closed captioning works well.

The settings for CC seem to be set up OK, just nothing on the screen
Hello and thank you for the question.

What remote do you usually use for CC when you're viewing- the Sony remote, or a cable box/universal remote?

What is it that you're viewing that you're trying to get the CC function to work on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I use the SONY TV remote. And I can accress all the CC settings, just nothing on the scree.

CC did work on most any program.

I have a TIVO and the CC works fine, so the CC signal

Thanks for the reply.

This is bizarre, because when using some sort of a cable box or Tivo, the CC function built into the device is what you would use. The TV's built in CC function only works when using the TV's internal Tuner (with a direct coaxial connection).

So with a Tivo Box, the Tivo CC function would be used, and with a direct coaxial from the wall to the TV, the TV's CC function would be used.

However, you're saying the Tivo CC function works, but the TV's does not, and you're getting your programming through the Tivo.

This is a conundrum unless I can wrap my head around this connection scenario some more.

Is there a coaxial cable from the wall to the Tivo, then what type of cable between the Tivo and the Sony?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The CC function through the TV set has worked well for many years.

I have got the signal through TIVO and I could get CC from either the TV set or from TIVO.

The TIVO CC still work but the set CC now does not.

The maddening thing is that I have made NO connection changes.

The TV connection is (and has ben for some time) from the incoming cable to TIVO abd then to the set. This has worked well for some time until now.

I do NOT use an HDMI cxable from TIVO to the set because the CC

Please try to reset the EEPROM in the TV by following the steps below.

Shut the Tivo and the TV off, then disconnect both from power. Press and hold the power button on the TV itself for 20 seconds, then plug it back in. Then plug the Tivo back in and once it's rebooted turn it on, then the TV on. Let me know if you have the same issue with the CC function.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I followed the procedure but still no CC's.

I believe we have isolated the problem to the TV.

In the "old days" I could fix these myself, but no more!

I will have my local folks follow through from here.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the reply and sorry to hear it's not working. The CC function is a feature generated by the mainboard in the set, which is the board that routes all of the external AV devices, contains the tuber, and all of the audio processing. If you'd like to reset the TV to factory defaults, then you can try to reset to factory defaults to see if this clears up the problem:

Turn on the TV. While holding the "Up Arrow" button on the remote control, press Power. The TV will then shut itself off, and come back on again. Release the "Up Arrow" button and the TV will be as it was when it left the factory.

If your CC function still does not work, then you would want to contact a local tech to have the Mainboard serviced/replaced as necessary. You can use the link below if you'd like:

If you need further assistance let me know.

If you're satisfied with my service, please do not forget to rate the answer.