Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

I have a Sony KDL-46W4150 TV and there are 12 distorted rectangles

I have a Sony KDL-46W4150 TV and there are 12 distorted rectangles on the screen as seen here:

http://imgur.com/a/Upf6o

The rectangles still show whatever is supposed to be there, but are just a little distorted. If I'm watching a movie or something, the entire movie is still on the screen, but as I said, it just looks off colored/grainy in those areas.

I can still read the menu and whatnot.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for the question.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?

I see that you said you can still read the MENU, but what we need to know is if the MENU appears perfectly clear OVER these rectangles, or behind (slightly obscurred) by them?

Additionally, we need to make sure we're referring to the TV MENU and not a Cable Box or DVD player MENU.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've had it for two days and it's been like this for two days. I got it from someone though, I didn't get it at a store.

The TV menu seems to be perfectly clear over the rectangles.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

If the MENU is perfectly clear, then this rules out many things and actually isolates the problem down to two possibilities:

The Mainboard which routes and processes the external AV devices.

The external device itself.

To narrow it down further, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah I have the same issue no matter what input. I've tried a PS3 on the HDMI and a PS2 in the AV ports.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Let me show you a little diagram here- this is what the TV's video processing looks like:

External Device (Cable Box, pS3, DVD, etc.)-->Mainboard (processes these Inputs)--> T-Con (generates MENU images)-->LCD panel (final step of the image being produced).

So you see when there's a problem with the image- but the MENU is NOT affected, you can tell it's occuring somewhere before the T-Con which boils it down to the mainboard, or the external inputs. Seeing as there's really no way would could have multiple faulty external devices, all exhibiting the same exact problem, then we know that the TV needs a Mainboard.

You would need to replace the mainboard in your TV to fix the issue. The Mainboard for your set can be purchased at the link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-LCD-TV-KDL-46W4150-MAIN-Board-A-1547-090-A-1-876-561-13-/281055814048

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Awesome, thanks.

Some additional questions:

Does a failing main board mean that there are other potential errors down the line? Do you think this would be easy enough to do myself (I'm no soldering expert but I can follow instructions)? Also, there is a small black line on the very left of the screen that runs down the entire TV (doesn't seem to do with the boxes). Is that just an LCD display thing or do you think that by fixing the main board, that would go away?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
A failing mainboard is what we just diagnosed based on the symptoms of the MENU appearing normally on the screen, and doesn't cause any other problems upstream. Replacing the mainboard- and any other board in the TV requires no soldering, as they are all plug and play board. Does the set have any other problems besides the mainboard? We would have no way of knowing until the mainboard was replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In the ebay link, it says "The board numbers are A-1547-090-A, 1-876-561-13."

Does that mean I'd have to open up my TV first to see if it matched one of those two, or can I just go ahead and order it because the model number is XXXXX same?

Also, there are no other problems with the TV really. The only other thing is that there is a thin black line of pixels that are on the far left of the screen that seem to go over everything. I can live with it, but still want to know what that is.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You would want to take the part number off of the mainboard in your TV and match it up to be sure. The one at the link is compatible with model numbers that have either A-1547-090-A, 1-876-561-13.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would you know of a guide to open it up?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I don't know of a guide, but you would simply need to remove all of the screws on the back of the TV, including the ones around the RCA jacks, and also look around the side, top and bottom edges for screws. Then the bottom of the rear panel should pop off, and you would lift up to remove the rear of the TV.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've done that, there's just two connections on the main board that I can't pull off and I don't want to pull too hard

EDIT: nevermind, I got it

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Excellent, and I'm glad to hear you've got it worked out!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I replaced the main board and it's still the same. Could it be a faulty wire or something? I could take pics/ a video if it'd help.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If you're certain the menu comes up normal then this doesn't line up. Have you tried multiple devices connected to see if the same problem occurs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

http://i.imgur.com/xP2LJMo.jpg

When I scroll left and right, the menu is not effected by the boxes. Everything is clear and readable on the menu

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried multiple devices connected to see if the same problem occurs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They appear on every default screen for each input so I don't think it's a specific input. Plus, I tried my PS3 and it was the same situation.

I should also mention that the top and bottom rows of the boxes are constantly moving/flashing.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I have literally never seen this issue before, where the MENU was perfectly clear over the boxes, yet there were these boxes on every input if it was not the mainboard. Let me ask if any of the ribbons from the Mainboard to the T Con appeared to be bent,kinked,loose or damaged in any way please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Which chip is the T Con?

Also, would you agree that that menu is clear over the boxes?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The T Con is not a chip, it's the small board mounted in the center of the LCD panel that has two ribbon cables connecting it to the Mainboard, and one connecting it to the LCD panel.

Yes, I would agree the MENU appears unaffected by these boxes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So there's 3 boards, there's the main board, there's a larger orange one in the middle, and theres a smaller one up top with a heatsink and metal casing on it. Is the one on the top the TCON?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Alright, so it was the thing with the metal casing.

There only appears to be one cable directly connecting them, it's a thick black cable. The other one is a thinner cable that's connecting to the orange board in the middle (I'm guessing it's the power supply).

To my eye, neither cable looks damaged, but then again I also don't know what it's supposed to look like or what it looks like underneath the black casing of the thick black cable

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
other ideas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Relist: Other.

I fiddled around with the black cable connecting the main board to the TCON and plugged it in weirdly so that the whole picture was messed up (just temporarily though). Could that be the problem, the cable connecting the two? Is there a way to make sure?

I found that it's called an LVDS cable. Can I just get any cable or does it have to be specific for that TV?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I didn't see that you had replied, because the question was relisted. Yes, those LVDS cables are the ones I'm talking about, and they're the only thing between the mainboard and the t-con board. You would need the specific LVDS cable for this TV, and unfortunately this is not something that I know of a source where you can purchase it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a way to make sure that this cable is the issue?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately no, all you've got is the fact that this cable is what connects the mainboard to the T Con and we know that your Mainboard is new, so the issue is either the LVDS cable or the connection of the cable to the T-Con.