Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

Hi, I have a Sony Bravia KDL-60EX700 and it was shutting down

Hi, I have a Sony Bravia KDL-60EX700 and it was shutting down after start up today and now won't turn on. The standby light is blinking 7 times. I looked online and read "Seven blinks - High voltage shutdown. The high voltage has exceeded 33k and the unit goes immediately into safety shutdown. Check power supply regulation and horizontal circuits." Is something I can fix at home on my own, if so what part do I need?

Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. First, I will tell you that the info you found online does not apply to your tv, that is for a crt tv, you do not have a crt tv.

I can help you figure out what is going on though, if you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-Any problems with the tv before today? (shutting off, picture issues, taking longer to come on, etc.)
-How old is the unit?
-It is blinking 7 times, pause 7 times pause, repeat OR is it 7 times and stop?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tim,

No previous problems, the tv has been working fine until today.

The tv is about 2-3yrs old.

It is blinking 7 times, pause 7 times pause, repeat until it is unplugged.

Ok so what you have here is a bad "BAL board" (main board) this is kinda like the motherboard of the computer, it does most of the work.

This is indicated by the 7 blinks. The bad news is the only way to repair the tv is to replace this board. The part number for this is A-1763-462-B. Looks like it runs around $160 for the part.

Now about your question, can you fix this yourself? I would say it depends on your skill level. To replace this board, you have to take the back off the tv, remove all screws and wires from the board, pull the board out, put the new board in, attach all wires and screw it down. Then the biggest part is you must remember to do a software update when you turn the tv on for the first time. If you forget to install it and turn it on, you can corupt your brand new board and have to buy another one.

So if this is something you want to try, let me know, I will be more than happy to help you with any aspect that I can. If not, a tech normally runs around $200-300 for labor.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!