Joe
Joe, Technician
Experience:  ASE cert tech for over 12 years, electronics has been my highest study, 4 years of home electronics
20508815

How can I take off the soap opera effect in my tv? only happens

Customer Question

How can I take off the soap opera effect in my tv? only happens when I watch movies in dish.
I have a vizio midel M3D550KDE
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is Aric and I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?

What do you mean by "soap opera effect"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You know the soap opera effect is when the picture looks like if you where watching a soap opera.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I kind of figured that's what you meant, but don't know exactly what the difference is watching a soap opera over regular TV because I don't watch soap operas. Could you describe this phenomena in a little more detail please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The picture looks smood like soap operas something like motion effect

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay I understand what you're saying now. I have this on my TV as well with an HD cable box and it's annoying. Can you tell me if ALL of the HD Dish channels appear this way? Also is the Dish box connected to the TV with an HDMI cable?

Any other devices connected (DVD player, game console, etc.), that are NOT showing up with this problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This only happens whit my dish box in all channels I have the coaxial cable

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, are any other devices connected to the tv, and have you checked them as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes only my ps3 but only one time I have the same experience in gaming not in movies. (I use HDMI cable) for console.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Only mi ps3

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Please click on the manual at the link below, then scroll to page 24, and select Advanced Picture Settings--> Noise Reduction-->High, and let me know if you have the same problem. If so, simply reply back and we can continue with this.

Manual:

http://store.vizio.com/documents/downloads/hdtv/M3D470KDE/UM_M3D470KDE.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still the same..

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear that. Next try the following steps and let me know if this helps the issue:

Resetting the Picture Settings
To reset the picture settings to the factory default settings:
1. From the Picture Settings menu, use the Arrow buttons to
highlight More, then press OK.
2. Use the Arrow buttons on the remote to highlight Reset
Picture Mode, then press OK. The TV displays, “Are you sure
you want to RESET Picture Settings to the factory defaults?”
3. Highlight Yes and press OK.
4. Press the EXIT button on the remote.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No results. .

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure it's not an issue with your DISH signal, or settings in their box? Have you tried rebooting the DISH box yet, or changing out the cable between it and the TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How can I reboot my dish box?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
By simply unplugging it from power for 20 minutes, then disconnecting and reconnecting the coaxial/HDMI, etc. cables between the box and the TV. Then plugging the box back in for it to reboot, and turning it on to see if you have the same problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I let you know in 20 minutes.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, that should say 2 minutes- not 20-lol. Just try it for 2 minutes, and I will also dig deeper into the settings on the TV to see if there's anything else we can try.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Same thing friend

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I'm out of ideas on this one and will need to open the question to other experts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok ..

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using
justanswer.com, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your
concern today.

One thing I always wish to try and do is let you know if
something comes up and I am not able to reply back right away but this is
sometimes something I cannot avoid. I will always try to reply back to you
right away however please understand that I may be busy answering another
customer back and thus it may sometimes take time to reply back to you. As soon
as I return I will be sure to reply back to you as soon as I am able to.

I see the dish step top box is connected to your tv via coax cable, have you tried using an hdmi cable instead to connect the dish box to your tv?

Thanks,

Joe