Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Sony Model # XXXXX (bought in 2008). The screen went

Customer Question

Sony Model # XXXXX (bought in 2008). The screen went black. Now we have red blinking light that blinks 14 times, pauses and blinks 14 times again. I have tried everything that is suggested on the sony website. Please help. Thank you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Does the set still have sound? Also does the blinking light occur as soon as its plugged in, or only after power is pressed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The set still has sound. I just unplugged it and waited a bit and plugged it back in. The green light niext to the (power word) on the front came on along with the SONY. Then about 10-15 seconds later, the standby red light started blinking again, still 14 times, pause, 14 times.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the reply. I'm not doubting what you say with regards XXXXX XXXXX blinks, but if you're absolutely certain the blinking is 14 blink, then a pause, then 14 blinks, this is very bad news on this set and indicates "HFR Error" which is a failure in the LCD panel of the TV. This is not a minor failure, and to fix the set requires replacement of the entire LCD panel.

The cost of a new Panel is around $1,400, and to replace it entails removing all of the boards inside the TV and essentially rebuilding it. Once the cost of labor is added to the repair, it would cost you more than a new TV to fix this. I wish I had better news for you, but once the Panel has failed, the set is not cost-effective to repair, and you would be better off purchasing a new set.