Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

I have a 6 year old Vizio P42HDTV10A that went from working

I have a 6 year old Vizio P42HDTV10A that went from working just fine to black screen with ragged edges on the right side. The right side has a sort of horseshoe shaped snow area ranging in width from 0 to 5 inches. Reset has not resolved the problem.
Hello
Welcome
Thanks for the Question

I may be a few minutes between each request for info thanks for your patience!

If you press the menu button of the sets own remote control does that come up OK or are you still in this black screen and ragged edges mode?

Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, and the snowy background I described running around the right edge will show the picture when connected to a signal source.

Hi

If you try another input like a dvd is it the same then too?

Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As I switch to PIP I'm able to get a very dark picture and the black area decreased in size

Hi Stan

Three things

1)The tcon board LCD panel display driver board
2)The LVDS lead that feeds the tcon board
3)The LCD panel (screen)itself

If it is the panel it wont be an option to repair due to the cost
Their is no way to check the tcon board it can only be replaced if i clears the fault then your in business if not then the panel is bad, an outside chance is the LVDS multistrand lead checked by "wiggling" to see if problem clears.

Let me know if you want to try a tcon board and manipulate the LVDS lead yourself I will provide more details

If not a tech would charge a service charge of $100 just to diagnose and try tcon.

You can locate a tech in your area by using this link www.tvrepairpros.com

Let me know if you need more info
Please dont forget to rate the answer.Thank You

Many Thanks
Anthony

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the thorough answer. I found youtube on the replacement of the tcon board and availability of low cost replacement board. I'll try the cables as suggested and if that does not fix I'll take the gamble on the board.

Stan

Hi Stan

I can provide more info on that you need to get the tcon out initially and get the partnumber from the board itself this is very important and then you may be able to get the board from shopjimmy.com

Many Thanks for the rating

Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Very impressed with the service. I supervised a team of technical support engineers for Tektronix for 25 years so I'm familiar with what you go through. Spend my days now far away from electronics where I run my own business as a gunsmith.

Thanks again Anthony.

Stan

Hi Stan

Thank You for the comments.

If you need more help please just let me know

Have a great day!

Anthony