Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a Panasonic PT-53WX54. All of a sudden I am now hearing

I have a Panasonic PT-53WX54. All of a sudden I am now hearing closed captioned and it's very annoying
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions;

Is this tv connected to a cable box/converter,satellite receiver,digital converter etc ?
Do you have this problem on all channels or just a few of them ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I only have cable, no box. It;s seem to be only on the Comedy channel.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k , first I must say that what you seem to have now is the "video description/descriptive video service" (not closed caption)which is only on a few channels if any usually and if there is a way to turn it off then it would usually be with a cable box or digital converter capable of receiving them .

Are you saying that you have other TV's in the house that receive the same channel and do not have the video description ?
Note that these channels may also broadcast the video description for certain movie,programs etc. or at different times .

If it seems to be only on this tv then try this;
Open the TV's menu and go to the AUDIO menu , open it and where it says MODE, make sure it says STEREO not SAP

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to keep you so long. On the Audio screen, it does say Stereo, But when I turn it on it says SAP. On top of all that we now have lost our cable, so I cannot test it.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You mean that when you turn on the tv it says SAP ??
If so then go back to the menu and select SAP , then go back and select STEREO again.
You can also access the SAP menu with the button called SAP located at the top of the TV's remote, try to press it a few times to switch between SAP,STEREO,MONO

Let me know how it goes when you get your cable signal back

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm back. I pushed the SAP button like you said, but the guy is still describing whatever is going on

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k and you have other TV's in the house that can receive this channel ?
If so then the description should be there as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nope! Only on the Panasonic

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

How do you change the channels on this tv , is it with the TV's remote ?
How about the other TV's , are they also connected directly to cable or do they have a cable box ?
Do you get that channel on the other TV's ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I change the channels bu remote . The other TV has a cable box and he is alright.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then the cable box could be where the difference is .
Right now what your TV is receiving is being sent through the audio signal whether you like it or not , they have integrated it in the standard analog signal and you cannot turn it off as your tv does not have that feature or ability to turn them on or off , so it is hard wired if you will.

The cable box is capable of receiving the digital information that it can turn on and off , I would guess that the same channel is on a different number as well on the cable box ?

What is the name/call letters of that channel and who is your cable provider ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's the Comedy Channel #46 on Rogers

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k and is it the number 46 on the tv and cable box or is it at a different number on the cable box ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They are the same

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then I will be right back hopefully with an explanation but I`m afraid that one part of my answer will not change and that is the fact that your tv is not capable of controlling that feature.
As a matter of fact I don`t think this service was available when they built the tv.

Be back shortly.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
It would seem the channel line up changes from one region to the other , in which part of Canada are you ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ontario. I have had this TV for a while and it never happened before

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sorry it took a while, difficult to get info from rogers on their services.

O.k , you must be in or near Ottawa then, in any case I do have their lineup and either on digital or direct cable , the comedy network is on channel 46 , so it would be the same as yours.

If you were getting the same comedy channel without the video description then it would mean that this service wasn`t there and they just added it to the analog/standard cable.

I`m sorry but again if you do not have some sort of cable box or video converter connected to this tv, I just cannot see how you could turn it off.

Did you say earlier that you were changing channels with the TV's remote , not a rogers remote ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then the only possible way would have been with the SAP function .
All the research I did on the rogers website talk about a cable box to control this DVS (descriptive video service)

Have you talked to rogers about this ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No not yet. I thought it was my TV

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then give them a call at this number 1-877-559-5202

Explain the problem about the "video descriptive service" on channel 46 and what you have done so far (about the SAP function).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so very much. Even though the problem was not solved, you were a great help and very patient. So in all I am very satisfied.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I`m sorry we were not able to clear this problem today but I can tell you that your tv is not at fault in this case.

Much welcome and you can reach me here at any time after this chat is closed if you have questions

Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer

Jack, Technician
Experience: 35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech