Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

my hd tv now has very dark images on screen

Hello and thank you for the question.

Did you actually measure to see if the 24 volts from, the power supply is present at the inverters?

Basically, there are two things left that could cause this problem- the power supply board, or the LCD panel itself. Let me know if the supply voltage at the inverters is present. Also, if the inverters are buzzing while the set is turned on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The inverters are buzzing with set on. I did not check for power at the inverters. Where do i check for the 24 volts at?

Thanks for the reply. If they're buzzing then chances are they're working, which means the voltage to the inverters is present. If you're still not getting any backlight on the screen, then your LCD panel's internal backlighting is what's at fault- and this is not repairable as the cost fo a panel is almost as much as the TV was when new.

I know this is not the answer you'd hoped for, but the inverters buzzing indicates they're getting power, however, if you want to double check, you'd use a multi meter and probe the inverter connector for 24 volts DC.

As it stands now though, the problem actually seems like a bad panel to me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does it mean anything that the board has a green LED light on? I do have some lighting but its very dark. You can hardly read the menu, etc. So this is a bad main board or is the LCD panel a different part? Thanks

Not a bad main board, I described exactly what the causes are above. What board has a green light on it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The main board just above the power supply board has a green light on when you plug it in.

Okay, that is perfectly normal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, so it needs a new LCD panel?

I had stated above that you need to probe the voltages on the backlight inverter connector and see if there is 24 volts DC anywhere on that plug. If there is voltage present, and your inverters are buzzing- meaning there is power, then the ONLY other thing that is responsible for lighting the display panel, is the display panel itself which is more than the TV is worth to replace.