TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

I have a Samsung HLN-617W 61" DLP TV. I replaced the color

Customer Question

I have a Samsung HLN-617W 61" DLP TV. I replaced the color wheel/RPM sensor it it and the picture is fantastic! One problem, the picture is not centered on the screen. It is about 3" too high cutting off the top of the picture and a black area at the bottom. Otherwise the picture is fine. How do I adjust the picture down vertically to center it on the screen?

Thank you

Wes Ellison
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Welcome
Thanks for the Question

I may be a few minutes between each request for info thanks for your patience!

Before you replaced the color wheel was the picture centered OK?

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Hi Wes

You have knocked the light engine or adjusted a light engine screw, you need to go back over what you did, the DMD board which is the one with the fan on if you had that out then it needs careful alignment, their is no other pointers I can give you as its one of the above that you did when you fitted the color wheel, the DMD board is a centering exercise that needs someone at the front to say if its OK or not, if you didnt touch the DMD then leave it were it is you may have the light engine incorectly in

Let me know

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The light engine slides into a preset position. I had to remove the lamp power supply to get to the color wheel housing to take it off. Where would the light engine screw be located?

Hi

Im refering to the screws on the DMD board for alignment you have disturbed a setting or the light engine isnt seated correctly, Wes I wish I could say what you have done but I cant their is no procedure for this you simply have touched something you shouldnt or adjusted something you should not taking the lamp ballast out wont do anything, you may need to go over what you did incidently is it the right color wheel you have fitted?sometimes their are different types thats why it should always be ordered by partnumber, so does the partnumber of old color wheel and new match?

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The wheels are identical. There is a board that had to be removed which the wheel, RPM sensor and data cable plug into. Is this the DMD board or is it on the light engine itself? I didn't open the light engine itself, only removed and replaced the wheel. The wheel is centered on the light pipe (square fiber optic).

Hi

Yes the DMD board is the one with the fan on the color wheel has two ribbon cables that go into it not sure why you took that out, I have never had to replace the sensor.

If you took that board out it will need to be realigned, you need a big mirror or someone in the front to tell you what you are doing and you need to adjust this board you will see the screws for alignment

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Anthony,

I am at a loss, where are these screws physically located?

Hi

Did you take out the DMD board?thats the one directly in front of you with the little fan on?

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is the one with the big heat sink. No it remained in the set, but I do recall it has three (maybe four) allen screws. are these the ones you are referring to, maybe for X, Y and Z adjustment?

Hi

Did you touch those?they have white caps on usually, anyhow its an alignment of that board get the stock quotes up on MSNBC and carefully adjust them down makes the pic go up up makes pic go down so you can see the quotes and can make the alignment

Let me know
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try that tonight. Maybe that heat sink got bumped re-installing the light engine. If I am correct, then the top screw will move the picture down and the bottom will move it up (reversed as it is a reverse mirror image). I will let you know.

Thanks.

Hi

Yes let me know about that

Anthony
Hi

How is this working out please ?

Let me know please

Thank You

Anthony