Daniel, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  BSEE (Electrical Engineer), 10+ years electronic design experience ,chip, board, component expert
47322625

Mitsubishi WS-65907

I have a Mitsubishi WS-65907 (65" Diamond Series 1080i). Yesterday the TV would not turn on. The green power light would light for approximately one second and then go out. I could hear what sounded like a relay click when the power light turned on and again when it went out. The TV shows error code 22.

Category: TV
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi there happy to help.

Please try the following.......

Unplug the TV for 10 minutes.

Plug back in an retry.

Let me know results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The TV has been unplugged for two days. I did as you instructed, but no change. TV will not turn on.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me exactly how old the TV is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The service manual has a 2001 copyright. Either 2001 or 2002.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like to point out that I am not receiving email notifications of your responses. Which is why my replies are delayed.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
OK, error code 22 with no audio of video is a typical a convergence issue on this TV. Its not a guarantee but 90 % of the time this is it.

Your choices are the following.......

There is a company that makes a repair kit for this problem. See here........

CLICK HERE

You can buy the kit, pull the board and take the parts to a local electronics shop and they will solder things in for you. This is a solution that will cost you about 150 dollars total and has a 90% chance of fixing the TV. The kit comes with disassembly instructions.

The TV is worth about 300 dollars, so you could also scrap it. Its a judgment call on your part in this case. I have a similar model myself and have fixed this issue and others 3-4 times over the last 10 years. These models have lost alot of value since the arrival of the smaller flatscreens.

Please don't forget to rate me and let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What I can actually use at this point is help finding the parts (I already had the other information). The direct replacement fuses are proving to be difficult to find at a reasonable price. $17 for one fuse is ridiculous, especially when the IC's can be purchased for $10 each. I believe I should be able to do this whole job for less than $40 as compared to the $79 that tvrepairkits.com is asking (I can do the soldering).

The part list for one of the Pico fuses looks like this:

ref # part # part name & description

F9A03 283P043090 FUSE - LF251 5A

I located 5 amp Pico II fuses for only $4.37 for a pack of 5. They are 125 volt, 5 second max. Would these fuses work or do I need the direct replacement Motorola brand fuses? The schematic shows voltages of 5V, 5VS,12V, 12VS, 17V, -24V, 24V and 110V.

One last thing. How long would it take for the high voltage to dissipate once the TV is unplugged? (it will be unplugged for more then a week before I work on it).

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
If you can solder yourself I suggest buying the kit. It has all the parts and also comes with a very good set of instructions on the entire process. This means you don't have to worry about safety concerns if you follow the instructions provided.

You will be hard pressed to find all these parts for less than what they are asking. If you order all of them separate even if you can find them, the shipping costs will add up as well.

Sounds like you have the skills to do this, order the kit and go for it.

Please don't forget to rate me and have a great day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't mean to be difficult, but you didn't answer my question. To be VERY blunt I was able to find all the information you have thus far provided by doing a google search and doing a little reading (no cost). My loss. I will provide the requested evaluation (5 star) when my question is answered (see below for final question).

What I am not able to determine, without a great deal of reading, is if the Pico fuses I mentioned in my last post are comparable to the ones listed on the Mitsubishi parts list. If they are I can buy all the parts I need for less then $40 (including shipping) which is a savings of almost $39 over what tvrepairkits.com is asking. As far as instructions go there is an excellent video online which covers the parts replacement. They are series 251 Pico II fuses rated at 125 volt, with a 5 second max.

Looking forward to finishing this transaction. Also looking forward to receiving the new 70" 3D TV I am buying to replace the outdated Mitsubishi.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
As long as the specs are the same on the fuses they should work. I will warn you here however that OEM replacements in these situations many times are not going to last as long as the factory original.

My recommendation is to buy the complete kit. For all the work you are going to do to fix this, 70 dollars verses 40 dollars is not worth a failure in the future. Fix it right ....once.

Take care and Please don't forget to rate me.
Daniel, Electrical Engineer
Experience: BSEE (Electrical Engineer), 10+ years electronic design experience ,chip, board, component expert