Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech

Need to turn on TV twice before the screen turns on

When I turn on my Vizio 42inch 1080p HDTV (bought in Aug 2008) I often have to turn it off and on again in order for the image to show. In other words, when I turn on my tv 90% of the time there is no image on the screen and when I turn it off and on again then it functions normally. What do you think is the problem and where can I find the parts if I need to fix it?

Serial No. LJPBRCJ1002638

Mfg Date: March 2008

Part no. 10235040022

Hello, my name isXXXXX'll be happy to assist you,
I'm sorry you are having this difficulty.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions about your TV so that we can troubleshoot the issue.

- Do you get sound in TV when no picture appears?
- Can you please take off back of TV to check volts inside with multimeter?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I can hear the sound.

No I cannot do the volt check since I do not know how nor have the tool to do so. Is there a way to find out how to fix the problem without having to do that?

Thanks Bob for the reply.
- Have you tried to unplug TV power cord from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug and check?

Please post back how it worked to proceed further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no this option is not working either. The problem has been going on for at least three years since the warranty went out unfortunately.

Thanks Bob for the info.
It seems power supply board in TV has defective capacitors or any resistors have devalued that are causing this problem.
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this issue and it is definitely hardware failure in TV , power supply board need to be swapped that would resolve the issue, this type of work requires some expertise like taking off back cover, unplugging connectors of power supply board to take it out and this should be done by handy person.
You can expect $180 to $240 repair cost on this problem from local TV repair shop, please click link to locate TV repair shops in area to get repair quote.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated!