Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience:  20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.
34633555

I have a 42 inch Samsung Plasma TV and picture went out, still

I have a 42 inch Samsung Plasma TV and picture went out, still have sound. I call Direct TV and they checked the receiver and had me check the TV itself and they told me it was my TV picture that was gone. My model is HP-S4253 - HP-S5053. Should I call a repairman to check it out or should I just buy a new TV?? If it is just the picture tube is it very expensive to get fixed?? I still have sound. The TV is approx. 7 - 8 years old.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.

Anthony's TV :

Hello Please BE aware This is tech information service. you are paying for the benefit of my real world experience and can save you time and money

Anthony's TV :

There is no picture tube

Anthony's TV :

this is a plasma tv

Anthony's TV :

and you could have many issues to casue this

Anthony's TV :

the cheapest repair will run 200.00

Anthony's TV :

the most exspensive that is within reason 500.00

Anthony's TV :

ad beyond that the plasma panal will not be worth any repair if its bad

Anthony's TV :

youll need a meter and a lot of skill repairing electronics

Anthony's TV :

or you can refer to a servicer

Anthony's TV :

if it were mine i would go the cheaper repair beyond that

Anthony's TV :

i would replace the tv

Anthony's TV :

the power board could be he culprit and fits the 200.00 repair scenario

Anthony's TV :

any more info will require hands on troubleshooting to be more specific

Anthony's TV :

thanks for using JA
If you have further questions

Anthony's TV :

POST

Anthony's TV :

ill get the message

Customer:

With the cost of TV's going down do you think it would be best to just get a new TV?? What would you do if it were you??

Anthony's TV :

as I posted above

Anthony's TV :

I would repair it if it did not exceed the 200.00 mark

Customer:

If I have a repairman come to my home to service the TV what is the usual charge just to diagnose the problem? I can't take that big TV myself to a shop. I don't want to pay out $100 just to find out the repair would cost me $200 or more on top of that.

Anthony's TV :

thats up to you

Anthony's TV :

typical service charge is anywhere from 50-100 depending on how far you are from servicer

Anthony's TV :

if you dont feel like investing in it then the servicer will not either ....so your best bet is to get a new tv

Customer:

The TV is 7 - 8 yrs. old......I think I'll get a new one. Thank you for your help.

Anthony's TV :

Thanks for using JA I would reccomend a LED tv over a PLASMA they dont last as long as yours did anymore

Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience: 20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.